About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Wednesday, May 19, 2021

New Canticles and Doctrina Imperatives

 What did I tell you? I told you Skitarii will be getting their own Doctrina Imperatives, didn't I? I mentioned that on the Facebook pages and other social media, such as Natfka's blog or Disqus, and while some people believed me, I got scorned by others who were yelling about how the sky was falling, Skitarii got nerfed because they lose Canticles and got called a...GW apologist or fanboy, among other things. Come on, guys. I don't know what drugs you're on (combat stimms, maybe?), but just because I suggest there might be a positive to this so-called nerf doesn't make me an apologist or a fanboy or whatever. The irony is that these people called me blinkered. Wow.

Anyway, Warhammer Community has run an article covering the Adeptus Mechanicus Canticles today, and they look quite different from what we're used to. There are some returning ones, such as Chant of the Remorseless Fist/Invocation of Machine Might (which helped me a little on Monday's game, but not too much), but a few have become quite unrecgonizable.


That's one example of a changed Canticle! I believe it was formerly re-roll failed hit rolls of ones, which might be a little...uh, downer, especially if you're relying on your Kataphron Destroyers to reroll all ones for supercharging their plasma weapons. The downside, of course, is that it makes your Tech-priest Dominus's aura pretty pointless. So maybe this is better. Allows you to reroll 2s too (and 3s, since Kataphron battle servitors and Kastelan robots hit on a 4+).


This is...weird. Formerly, Chant of the Remorseless Fist simply allows you to re-roll hit rolls of ones in the Fight phase, but now it turned into Invocation of Machine Might, so I assume Invocation of Machine Might is gone and replaced by some new Canticle. I don't know, we'll see. But yeah, Chant of the Remorseless Fist is simply Invocation of Machine Might now. Eh...?


So instead of Invocation of Machine Might, we now have Invocation of Machine Vengeance instead, which gives our Cult Mechanicus units better Advance and charge rolls. Well, in a way, it just gives you an additional D6 and discards the lower one. Still statistically better, anyway.

Now Servitors get Canticles (so they are better in your Adeptus Mechanicus army than they are in your Space Marines or Imperial Guard army), along with Kastelan Robots, Kataphron Servitors (I'm talking about the normal, cheap Servitors here, who are somehow Elites when compared to the Kataphron Troops - ha ha ha ha ha!), Tech-priests and Electropriests. But Skitarii don't get Canticles (unless they are Martian). What do they get? Doctrina Imperatives. They are very different from the Doctrina Imperatives of 7th edition that I covered on Monday. Allow me to show you!


Just like in the original Doctrina Imperatives in 7th edition, you get benefits at the costs of others. So yeah. With the Bulwark Imperative on, our Skitarii are now wearing power armor! But they end up having their Move characteristic reduced by 3". Damn. Take note, this applies to vehicles too, so your Ironstrider Ballistarii, Onager Dunecrawlers, Skorpius hovercrafts and Archaeopters now have a 2+ armor save. Sweet!


On the other hand, Protector Imperative is back, and you get to hit on a 2+ for your shooting, in exchange for a lousier Weapon Skill. Well, it depends on what you want, really. Weigh the costs and think about it!

So you can have your Cult Mechanicus units do one thing while your Skitarii units do another. Since I run Kastelan robots alongside my Skitarii...yeah, this will be cool! I wonder what other Doctrina Imperatives we will have, or if any of the other Canticles have changed! I think Shroudpsalm will remain the same, giving us Cover (I bet they get both Heavy and Light cover or something). Maybe they'll change Litany of the Elecromancer. While it helped me once, I think it's too unreliable. Mostly. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment