About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Starting Thousand Sons

Now that I have finished painting my Imperial Guard, I'm starting on my Thousand Sons! Right, you can probably see all my painted Astra Militarum models in the previous battle reports. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but they've all been painted! Now that my Astra Militarum army has been painted and built, I've moved on to my Thousand Sons.


Yup, that's what I have right now. I can run a Patrol Detachment of Thousand Sons. Ahriman as my Warlord, 10 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns and a single soulreaper cannon, and 5 Scarab Occult Terminators. I can even split the Rubric Marines into 2 squads of 5, especially since I've built Ahriman from the Horus Heresy: The Burning of Prospero box. I'm going to run him as an Aspiring Sorcerer for my Rubric Marine squads, so I can swap out the Rubric Marine with soulreaper cannon for Ahriman the Aspiring Sorcerer (of course I'll have to change his name).

I'm planning on adding onto this army and expanding into a Battalion. First, I'll get a second box of Rubric Marines tomorrow, and make all of them carry warpflamers. The Aspiring Sorcerer will be armed with a warpflame pistol to make it more thematic (I don't care if it sucks or it isn't optimal, I like the theme and fluff). I'll also get a Chaos Rhino along with the 2nd box of Rubric Marines, and give it a havoc launcher. The Thousand Sons decals will be useful for the Rhino, so yay. Once I'm done with that, I can proceed to get a Daemon Prince. I'm planning on getting an Exalted Sorcerer box as well, and kitbash the Daemon Prince with one of the Exalted Sorcerers to make him look less like a generic Daemon Prince and more of a Daemon Prince of Tzeentch who was a former Thousand Son. I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I'll figure something out. Definitely gonna use some bits of the Exalted Sorceerer to kitbash the Daemon Prince into one who's more Thousand Son-y. Then I'll get one Exalted Sorcerer on disc, and another who I can run as a normal Sorcerer rather than an Exalted Sorcerer if I'm low on points. We'll see. I hope not.

Now there's two routes I can take for my Thousand Sons army after that. First, I can go the automata or mecha route where I bring lots of Forge World units in the form of Dreadnoughts and pretend they are automata. By this I mean stuff like the Deredeo Dreadnought and the Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought. And eventually the Leviathan Dreadnought because of how cool it looks and how it'll fit into my fluff about a Thousand Sons Sorcerer controling and commanding a maniple of automata. We'll see. If I do manage to get my hands on a Deredeo Dreadnought and a Contemptor Dreadnought I can run a list that looks like this:

Thousand Sons Automata Army

Battalion Detachment

Ahriman 166

Daemon Prince with malefic talons 180

5 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns 107

5 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns 107

10 Rubric Marines with warpflamers 330

Chaos Rhino with havoc launcher 83

5 Scarab Occult Terminators 238

Battalion Detachment

Exalted Sorcerer 141

Sorcerer with plasma pistol and force stave 110

10 Cultists with flamer 47

10 Cultists with flamer 47

10 Cultists with flamer 47

Hellforged Contemptor Dreadnought with 2 butcher cannons 163

Hellforged Deredeo Dreadnought with butcher cannon array and greater havoc launcher 233

Total: 1,999 (13 Command Points)

The Cultists are actually Guardsmen. I'll probably use my Imperial Guardsmen as Cultists, especially since I have them painted differently from Cadians. I mean, lots of Chaos Legions use traitor guardsmen as their massed troops, and these Guardsmen are essentially the contemporary iteration of the famed Prosperine Spireguard. I really like the Prosperine Spireguard so I would like to run them as my "Cultists". Autoguns and lasguns are pretty much the same thing so I don't think there should be any problems or complaints if I run my Guardsmen as Thousand Sons Cultists. They can pass off as the Prosperine Spireguard. I wish I could take Chimeras, Leman Russ tanks or some form of armor though. Ugh. Oh well, I'll just work with what I have. Anyway, I eventually hope to kitbash a Hellforged Cerberus Heavy Destroyer by kitbashing a Forgefiend and Land Raider together. I'm hoping to literally make it a Cerberus tank by giving it the three Forgefiend heads or something, and give it claws to represent its infernal hunger. Heh. This will be cool.

Anyway, this list is assuming I get the Deredeo and Contemptor Dreadnoughts (most likely I will, so I shoudn't have to worry about that). If I don't, then I'll run an alternative list that still allows me to keep my giant robots in. Too bad they won't be Hellforged Dreadnoughts but instead...

...Renegade Knights.

Thousand Sons with Renegade Knights allies

Battalion Detachment

Ahriman 166

Daemon Prince with malefic talons 180

5 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns 107

5 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns 107

10 Rubric Marines with warpflamers 330

Chaos Rhino with havoc launcher 83

5 Scarab Occult Terminators 238

Super-heavy Detachment

Knight Errant with stormspear rocket pod 440

Armiger Helverin 174

Armiger Helverin 174

Total: 1,999 points (11 Command Points)

Yeah, this has less Command Points but a lot more firepower in the form of Renegade Knights. Should be interesting. We'll see how it works out eventually! Of course, there are other alternatives. For example, I could run Tzaangors instead of Knights...though I'm not very sure about this list. Oh well.

Thousand Sons Horde Army

Battalion Detachment

Ahriman 166

Daemon Prince with malefic talons 180

5 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns 107

5 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns 107

10 Rubric Marines with warpflamers 330

Chaos Rhino with havoc launcher 83

5 Scarab Occult Terminators 238

Battalion Detachment

Exalted Sorcerer 141

Sorcerer with force stave 104

10 Cultists 40

10 Cultists 40

30 Tzaangors with brayhorn 220

Tzaangor Shaman 90

Mutalith Vortex Beast 150

Total: 1,996 (13 Command Points)

This will cost a bit more to build, but it features the infamous Tzaangor bomb. It'll make use of Cycle of Slaughter as well as the Webway Infiltration Stratagem to maximize their effectiveness in combat. Well, that's the plan, but you'll never know. This list features that Tzaangor bomb combo and a lot of Command Points, but as you can see, it is sorely lacking in high Strength weaponry or anti-tank firepower. At least the list with the Dreadnoughts had Strength 8 AP -1 D2 butcher cannons, but this list lacks that. It should be fun to play, though. I hope. And with the amount of mortal wounds I can throw about, it shouldn't be a problem...I hope. I'll give the Tzaangors Tzaangor blades because they give AP -1 and I'm using them for melee, so I don't need the autopistols. That said, 30 extra attacks with the chainsword sounds really tempting...but I think the AP -1 will benefit my Tzaangors a lot more.

Anyway, we'll see what happens on Friday. If I get the Deredeo and Contemptor Dreadnoughts, then I'll go the automata route, which is absolutely fine with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment