About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, April 7, 2019

Purge the Galaxy!

Let's get onto the Chaos hype train! All aboard the new Chaos hype train!

Well, as you know, Thousand Sons (and Death Guard) didn't get anything from Vigilus Ablaze. Sad, but I guess that's to be expected. However, there are a few stuff that I did like about Vigilus Ablaze, and the new units look awesome. One thing that caught my eye particularly, waas the Renegade Chapters. If you recall from the Ahriman Collection, Ahzek Ahriman recruited an unlikely band of Renegade Space Marines from a Renegade Chapter to his cause - the Librarian Astraeos and his battle-brothers. So I was thinking we can have more Renegade Chapters subordinating themselves to the Thousand Sons Legion even though they are not Rubric Marines and stuff.

Among the Renegade Traits, the most interesting one I found was the Purge. Their Bringers of Oblivion Renegade Trait combos very well with Thousand Sons, especially with Smite and stuff. Can you imagine Smiting and causing units to lose wounds during the psychic phase, and then unleashing a volley of heavy weaponry on them? That would be so cool!

So I was thinking of getting a Spearhead Detachment of Renegade Space Marines with the Bringers of Oblivion Renegade Trait. Okay, I know people will be complaining about the fluff. "Hey, the Purge is Nurgle! They will never ally or subordinate themselves to Thousand Sons! Screw you for min-maxing and being unfluffy!"

But wait, hold on. No one ever said that only the Purge can take the Bringers of Oblivion Renegade Trait. It's just like how my Draconian Armored regiment takes the Cadian Regimental Doctrine even though they are not strictly Cadians, and my Knights of House Yato takes the House Taranis Household Tradition even though they are from House Yato and not House Taranis proper. Before you starting shouting about unfluffiness and stuff, make sure you read Vigilus Ablaze properly. Right on page 196, under the RENEGADE TRAITS section, they clearly stipulated, "If your chosen Renegade Chapter does not have an associated Renegade Trait, you can instead pick the trait that you think best represents your army." That's right. You don't need to strictly pick Purge and only the Purge for the Bringers of Oblivion Renegade Trait. So if I have a homebrewed Chapter of Space Marines (let's call them the Sons of Ruin), I can choose whatever Renegade Trait I think most appropriate for them, and then give them the Mark of Tzeentch. Why Mark of Tzeentch? because Thousand Sons, duh. Well, I have another reason but I'll get into that later. Anyway, that's what I'm hoping to do with my Thousand Sons. Getting a Renegade Chapter to join their Legion, and as the Sons of Ruin, they excel in destruction and heavy weaponry.

So what exactly is in this army? We have the Warlord himself Ahriman (or some other Arch-Sorcerer who uses his rules), and a bunch of Exalted Sorcerers and Rubric Marines. I'm going to assume that the Obliterators cost 115 points each as opposed to 65 (there's no way in hell they are 65 points per model, the FAQ will be coming soon), so we'll work on that assumption. So what have we got here? We want to use the new models. Oh, and I have a couple of assault cannons that I can use for kitbashing.

Thousand Sons Battalion
Ahzek Ahriman
Exalted Sorcerer on disc with dual power swords
Rubric Marines (5 guys)
Rubric Marines (5 guys)
Rubric Marines (5 guys with warpflamers) (I don't care what people say, I don't care if they are a waste of points or rubbish, I'll bring them because they are Rubric Marines with warpflamers)

Thousand Sons Supreme Command Detachment
Daemon Prince of Tzeentch
Exalted Sorcerer on foot
Sorcerer in Terminator Armor
Scarab Occult Terminators

Sons of Ruin (Bringers of Oblivion Renegade Trait) Spearhead Detachment
Lord Discordant (because why the hell not?)
Havocs with 4 lascannons and 1 meltagun
Havocs with 4 reaper chaincannons and 1 meltagun
2 Obliterators

That's for a 2,000-point game, obviously. Yay. The Obliterators will Deep Strike with the Sorcerer in Terminator Armor and Scarab Occult Terminators, who will obviously pile on mortal wounds during the psychic phase. That means they get to re-roll all hit rolls against their wounded target. Heh. Nice. The Havocs with 4 reaper chaincannons - where am I going to get the other 2 reaper chain cannons from? That's where the assault cannons come in. I'll just kitbash them and glue the barrels into the heavy bolters, and voila! You get reaper chaincannons. Sort of. Otherwise I hope they give us an upgrade sprue because it's going to be annoying when you have to buy 4 boxes for just that weapon (and nobody in their right mind will do that).

Earlier I said something about making the Sons of Ruin Tzeentch. I thought that would be cool because I can use Chaos Familiar to swap one of the Sorcerer in Terminator Armor's psychic spell for Flickering Flames and cast it on the Obliterators to add 1 to their wound rolls. That would make them even more terrifying. Heh.

Anyway, a lot of this is subject to change and I'll be waiting for the FAQ in any case. Hopefully the Obliterators won't go up to 115 points (we can all hope, but I highly doubt it), but if they get a slight increase (for example, going up to 90 points instead of 115), I can change things around. Like, replacing the Lord Discordant with a Dark Apostle with Dark Disciples, swapping the Rubric Marines out for Cultists (with a flamer), the Havoc Sergeants' meltaguns for plasma guns and then adding 2 Obliterators. Obviously that's unlikely to happen, but we can all hope.

We'll see what happens!

4 comments:

  1. As I wrote last time, your fluff is YOUR fluff, if you like it, play it ... I, for my part, would be curious to read your background of the renegade chapter of the "Sons of Ruin" and their alliance with the Thousand Sons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now my head canon has something to do with the way Astraeos fell into Ahriman's clutches in the Ahriman Collection. They get attacked by the Grey Knights and the Renegade Chapter is almost destroyed, the remnants escaped and met up with my Thousand Sons's warband (the Sons of Shadow), who destroyed the Grey Knights and absorbed them into the Legion.

      Another idea I am toying with is that the Sons of Ruin, formerly Sons of Redemption, had a huge outbreaker of psykers with the opening of the Great Rift, and many of their Librarians ended up becoming Sorcerers (or rather, ended up becoming portals through which Daemons crawled out from). Or something similar to that. The Ordo Hereticus and Ordo Malleus team up to exterminate the Chapter (that's where the Grey Knights come in, this time with Sisters of Battle allies and maybe Space Wolves, though I'm pretty sure the Space Wolves are very hostile toward the Inquisition and thus it's unlikely they'll work for them). Again, they are on the run, and they are saved by a Thousand Sons warband (my Sons of Shadow) who detected the surge in warp energy from them and came to check them out. Seeing the potential of the Sons of Redemption as powerful pawns in the great game (and having some sympathy for them because their experiences pretty much mirror the razing of Prospero), they recruited the renegade Chapter into their ranks.

      I was thinking the Sons of Redemption have a close relationship with the Adeptus Mechanicus and have quite a few augmetics and heavy weaponry, which explains their great number of Havocs and Obliterators after their fall.

      Delete
  2. Lord Adiatun VarunnApril 8, 2019 at 7:27 AM

    If you choose the second version (and I agree about Space Wolves) it would be interesting why the Obliterators, could be the Centurions fused with armor and weapons from the Powers of the Immaterium? ... You have interesting material to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that would be awesome! Centurions are pretty hardy, so that's how they survived the...uh, purge. And then Tzeentch magicks and the other stuff and techno-virus will lead them into becoming Obliterators. Thanks!

      Delete