About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Renegade Open Major 2021 Day 2

 Day 2 of the Renegade Open Major! YAY! Or...ugh. Depending on how you look at it. Well, I mostly enjoyed myself, so I think yay is right. Anyway, I had 3 matches today, so I had best get to it.

First mission was Surround and Destroy, and I was up against Freebootas Orks. The one with SpeedWaaagh! and lots of buggies, as well as a pair of bombas or planes. Needless to say, I got crushed by the Green Tide. I can't remember what happened. Despite going first, I failed to kill the two planes, but instead I lost both Armigers Moirax and maybe a Contemptor Dreadnought as well as 3 Bladeguard Veterans. Ouch. The poor Knight Castellan was reduced to 4 wounds. I tried to fight back, but I only killed like 2 planes in the second turn and I couldn't even kill the damned Grots. Sigh. Um, I killed two Mek guns in the first turn, and that was pretty much all I could do. Maybe I wiped out a squad of Kommandoes, but yeah, that's about it.

The Deffkill Wartrike killed my Knight Castellan with a meltagun, and that's all I could do. Needless to say, he proceeded to shoot my Bladeguard Veterans and Terminators off the board. The only survivor by turn 4 was the Emperor's Champion, and while he charged the Stormboyz, he...rolled 5 1s and 2s for his wound rolls and killed only a single Stormboyz, taking 4 wounds in return. Both times I used the Stratagem to prevent my opponent from falling back on a 4+, only to roll a 1 and a 2 both times (first was the Terminator squad and the single Grot, second was the Emperor's Champion and the Stormboyz). Again, they shot the Emperor's Champion off the board and I was tabled by turn 4.

That was brutal. I lost the game 49 to 89, and it was just...painful. Yeah, very painful. I don't know what to say, man. S happened. After losing 35-92 to Grey Knights yesterday, I got tabled by Orks on turn 4. Well, that was fine. It's just a game, and I was determined to turn my fortunes around somehow. On the bright side, it meant I didn't have to play Grey Knights and super strong players for my last 2 games, so that gave me hope. Also, I was there to roll dice and have fun (though one-sided games are...ouch). So I hung in there and believed in the God-Emperor.

The second mission today was Sweep and Clear. This time, I was up against a Thousand Sons player. This one I could remember the list of because I'm also a Thousand Sons player and I'm familiar with their units. His list looked something like this:

Thousand Sons Battalion (Cult of Time)

Exalted Sorcerer, Warlord, gives extra Cabal Points

Ahzek Ahriman

Infernal Master

Sorcerer

2x10 Rubric Marines

5 Rubric Marines

2 Rhinos

2 Forgefiends with ectoplasma cannons

10 Cultists

10 Scarab Occult Terminators

I think that's about it? In any event, I went first and didn't shoot much because everything was obscured. I did grab the center objective to give me the Direct Assault secondary, so yay. Then my opponent moved everything up, and maybe put 3 wounds on an Armiger Moirax and perhaps a couple of wounds on a Contemptor Dreadnought, but otherwise I made most of my saves.

Second turn happened, and it was brutal. Basically I shot one Forgefiend off the board, destroyed a Rhino, and then charged the 5-men Rubric Marines squad and killed them with my Emperor's Champion, Contemptor Dreadnought and Bladeguard Veterans. The other Contemptor Dreadnought charged and killed a couple of Rubric Marines, as did the Armiger Moirax, from a 10-men Rubric Marine squad, reducing it slowly. I think that was all I could do because the Marshal in Terminator Armor and Terminators failed their charge.

Um, the other Forgefiend shot the Terminators and I made a hell lot of saves, 5 out of 6 4++ invulnerable saves. Wow. That wasn't supposed to happened. I only lost 1 Terminator. The Rubric Marines continued to fight the Contemptor Dreadnought, slowly grinding them down, while the Scarab Occult Terminators dropped in, and despite using Veterans of the Long War, did only a little bit of damage against the Knight Castellan, then failed their charge as well. Yikes. The Cultists charged the Terminators and got wiped out by them and the Marshal in Terminator armor. Oh, well. They had no choice because I was going to charge them next turn anyway.

Things got bad to worse for my opponent, for my Armiger Moirax and Knight Castellan wiped out the Scarab Occult Terminators. The Contemptor Dreadnought eventually killed the Rubric Marines while the Terminators charged and killed the Infernal Master. The second Contemptor Dreadnought killed Ahriman with his multimelta, and the Emperor's Champion charged and killed the Sorcerer in combat. The other Armiger Moirax continued chewing away at the last squad of 10 Rubric Marines.

At this point, my opponent called it. It was clear that the Emperor's Champion and Terminators would proceed to kill the remaining Forgefiend and Exalted Sorcerer. I managed to convince him to try shooting my Terminators, and he did...only for me to make all my saves. Oh...that wasn't good for him. His Rubric Marines failed to kill the Armiger Moirax in shooting and combat, bringing him down to 4 or 5 wounds (I think?). We then simulated him retreating and my Knight Castellan shooting, and he did wipe out the remaining Rubric Marines.

So yeah...that maxed me out on Abhor the Witch, I had a lot for Assassinate (13, I think?) and I got max on Direct Assault because I was holding both the opponent's objective and the center. In the end, I won the game 98 to 35 points. That was...not fair. I dislike one-sided games, even if I'm winning. I know how it feels, having suffered a crushing defeat twice in a row, and it just...doesn't feel good, even if I scored a victory. Sigh. I feel sorry for the Thousand Sons player. I hope he had better luck in the next game.

The third match was Overrun, and I was matched against an Ultramarines player. At first, I thought I would be playing against his son, but it turned out that his father was going to play against an opponent he already fought against, so...yeah. A pity, because his son had awesome converted Ork-ized Mechanicus and Knights. I wanted to play against Knights! NOOOO!!!

Ultramarines are cool too, though, and I saw Roboute Guilliman once more. Um, his list looks like this:

Ultramarines Battalion

Tigirus (however you spell his name)

Primaris Chaplain on bike

2x2 Victrix Guard

Apocethary

5 Infiltrators

10 Intercessors

5 Vanguard Veterans

5 Hellblasters

6 Eradicators

5 Devastators

Ultramarines Supreme Command

Roboute Guilliman

Somehow I got first, but I didn't do a lot of shooting. I think I maybe killed 3 Hellblasters and that was about it. Oh, I did wipe out 10 Intercessors despite them having transhuman physiology. Major victory there, I suppose. Then the Devastators put a ton of wounds on the Knight Castellan, bringing him down to 17 wounds, while the Eradicators murdered a Contemptor Dreadnought. The Knight Castellan retaliated by killing the Devastators, and I think the Armiger Moirax killed a couple of Eradicators? The other maybe missed his shots while the Contemptor Dreadnought charged the Primaris Chaplain. The Terminators did manage to make their charge after deep striking, but the Victrix Guard heroically intervened and I only killed maybe another Eradicator while not doing much. The Contemptor Dreadnought did 3 wounds to the Primaris Chaplain while the Terminators mostly survived.

Then the apocethary brought back an Eradicator. They killed maybe like 4 Terminators, leaving just the Sergeant, then Guilliman charged in and killed the Marshal. The Terminator killed another Eradicator - 3 of them charging in, and that's about it. The Vanguard Veterans charged and made it into the Bladeguard Veterans, but I only killed 2 because of poor rolling. Yikes. They made their saves against the lightning claws and power fists, though. Mostly. The Primaris Chaplain maybe took another 3 wounds. Can't remember.

I had to use a Stratagem to make the Bladeguard Veterans Objective Secured to keep that objective in my backfield while maintaining my banner. Meanwhile the Contemptor Dreadnought finally killed the Primaris Chaplain with his multimelta, and the Armiger Moirax killed the Victrix Guard while the Knight Castellan killed the Eradicators. I had the Contemptor Dreadnought charge in and fail to do anything to the Victrix Guard, and while I killed another Eradicator (who was promptly brought back to life), the Terminator died to Guilliman. The Vanguard Veterans killed a Bladeguard Veteran and I killed 2 back, still rolling badly and failing to finish them off. Ugh. The Emperor's Champion charged and killed 3 Infiltrators and took maybe a wound in return.

The Victrix Guard slowly wore the Contemptor Dreadnought down in combat, and the Eradicators and Hellblasters killed one of my Armiger Moirax. Yikes. I think Guilliman proceeded to kill the Emperor's Champion by shooting him to death and I failed a bunch of invulnerable saves. That was bad. Fortunately, I finally killed the Vanguard Veteran Sergeant with the Bladeguard Veterans' power swords. I then used a Stratagem to make my Contemptor Dreadnought  Objective Secured to steal it from the Victrix Guard, swinging the primary objectives scoring in my favor - I scored 15, and my opponent scored 5 while they lost the banner there. Phew! The Knight Castellan fired and did a total of 6 wounds to Guilliman, who made most of his 3++ saves. It didn't help that I rolled horribly too. Then the Victrix Guard fell back and I think Tigurus smited the Contemptor Dreadnought to death, with me failing to make the 5+++ against mortal wounds. The Eradicators then destroyed my second Armiger Moirax.

I had my Knight Castellan run away in the last turn to avoid the Eradicators. I have no choice. I couldn't let him score Bring it Down. And that was pretty much game. Fortunately, I somehow managed to scrape a victory, scoring 87 to 79. That Objective Secured Stratagem really helped me a ton, otherwise I would have lost that game! Wow...still a really great game. I prefer close games like this to one-sided victories or defeats!

Thus I ended my Renegade Open Major with 3 losses and 3 wins. 50% win-rate! That's good enough for me. I was tied with someone for 29th place, but I guess I got 30th place by virtue of my name starting with T (so below him in alphabetical order). Not that I care. I wasn't going to win anything anyway. I'm pleased with the result!

Maybe next time I'll try playing a pure list, though I doubt it would have changed anything in any of today's games. The Orks would still have wiped me out no matter what, and...I won against the Thousand Sons and Ultramarines, so nothing to say there. Probably having Objective Secured units and forcing Guilliman to only wound on 3+s (along with the Eradicators' meltas) would have helped me a lot, but...I don't know. It's tough to say. Anyway, this was a fun list, and I like both Knights and Black Templars. I'll see what I can do next time, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment