About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Monday, November 15, 2021

Black Templars versus Salamanders

As part of preparing for the Renegade Open Major this weekend, I managed to get another game in! I was supposed to play against James Kelling (you guys might know him from Goonhammer), but he had to prepare stuff for traveling to his own Warhammer 40,000 tournament in Austin, Texas, so he couldn't make it today. Fortunately, I was able to schedule a game with another opponent, who brought Salamanders! This will be interesting. I've played against Death Guard twice, Adepta Sororitas, Chaos Daemons, Thousand Sons and Drukhari, but I don't think my Black Templars have ever faced Salamanders before. My Knights have, and it usually ends with me being tabled because...you know. Salamanders and melta. 'nuff said.

In any event, I was intrigued by how this would turn out (and also pretty happy that I would get a game, after all), so let's get on to it. My opponent's list looked something like this:

Salamanders Battalion Detachment
Captain on a bike
Techmarine, Master of the Forge (and a bunch of Warlord Traits and Relic, I think?)
3 Redemptor Dreadnoughts
2 Relic Contemptor Dreadnoughts with twin volkite culverins
2 squads of 5 Assault Intercessors
5 Intercessors
1 Landspeeder with multimelta
2 Landspeeders with multimelta
6 Eradicators
2 squads of 3 Eliminators

Yeah, I think that was about it. I brought my usual Black Templars list along - the same one I brought agaist Adepta Sororitas, Death Guard (the second game, anyway) and Drukhari, so I don't think I need to list them. I think.

Anyway, we rolled off and got Ascension. My opponent got first turn, and yeah. I think I lost 7 Primaris Crusaders to the dual volkites of the Contemptor Dreadnoughts, an entire squad of Bladeguard Veterans and a single Redemptor Dreadnought to the combined multimeltas, melta rifles and plasma cannons of the 2 Land Speeders, 3 Eradicators and two other Redemptor Dreadnoughts. It was pretty brutal shooting, that's for sure. I then had my Assault Intercessors charged up the field, but only one made their charge. At least my Contemptor Dreadnought - who survived the multimelta from a Landspeeder and 3 melta rifle shots from the Eradicators - made his charge and destroyed the lone Landspeeder. My shooting was abysmal, to say the least. I didn't hit much with the Contemptor Dreadnoughts' multimeltas, and when I did score a hit, I rolled a 1 or a 2 against the Landspeeders, which failed to wound them. It was bad. The Assault Intercessors who made their charge killed 2 Assault Intercessors, and then lost 2 in the counterattack. Oh, well.


My opponent continued to take out my units, wiping out the Primaris Crusaders, killing the Primaris Marshal through volume of shots from the Redemptor Dreadnoughts, destroyed my wounded Contemptor Dreadnought and then annihilated all of my Assault Intercessors and Bladeguard Veterans with the Redemptor Dreadnoughts. I don't know what to say. The only bright spot was my Emperor's Champion surviving two rounds of snipes from the Eliminators, but other than that...yeah. This was bad for me.


My Terminators deep struck and tried to charge the Redemptor Dreadnought...only to fail their charge. Only the Marshal in Terminator armor made it, did maybe like 1 wound to the Redemptor Dreadnought and then died to the fists. The surviving two Dreadnoughts did f all with their shooting again, and my Emperor's Champion charged into like 3 Assault Intercessors, only to roll a bunch of 1s and 2s, and maybe a couple of 3s for the wound rolls. Of course, my opponent had used transhuman physiology to ensure that I only wounded on 4+s, so...he basically did absolutely nothing. At least he survived the combat, but he took 2 wounds despite having a 2+ save. Really?


That pretty much summed up a one-sided game. Oh, well. I think I screwed up somewhere. I should have placed my Bladeguard Veterans properly in cover to ensure they wouldn't get shot at, but it is what it is, I guess. Also, I should have taken Uphold the Emperor to give my Redemptor Dreadnoughts a 5++ invulnerable save instead. Maybe that would have helped? I don't know. I had taken Accept the Challenge, no matter the odds, so that the AP -1 Astartes chainswords would have some effect against the Salamanders' wounds, but alas, it was not to be. Anyway, it was an overwhelming victory for the Salamanders, and a lesson learned for me. I'll figure it out, I hope! I'm sure I'll find some way to deal with Salamanders or other Space Marines during Renegade. But we'll see.

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment