About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Black Templars versus Death Guard

So today I managed to get a game with a friend. He brought Death Guard and I seized the chance to try out my new Black Templars. With the new codex and units, I really wanted to see how they play - they seem very fun, so I was pleased to field them. Particularly my Terminators and Contemptor Dreadnoughts - I finally got to field them instead of leaving them to collect dust on my stack.

So how did it go? Well...I'm not sure. In any case, let's look at my opponent's Death Guard list. I think they were the Harbringers, a Battalion detachment or something.

Death Guard Battalion (Harbringers)

Lord of Contagion

Malignant Plaguecaster

Plague Surgeon

Tallyman

Foul Blightspawn

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought with dual volkite culverins

3 Deathshroud Terminators

2 x 5 Blightlord Terminators

2 x 10 Poxwalkers

20 Poxwalkers

2 Myphitic Blight-haulers

2 Plagueburst Crawlers.

In contrast to that, I brought two Black Templars Crusade - one Battalion Detachment and one Vanguard Detachment.

Black Templars Battalion

Primaris Marshal with auto-flamer and master-crafted power sword (Relic Blade?)

Emperor's Champion

Primaris Techmarine

2 Redemptor Dreadnoughts with plasma decimators

4 Bladeguard Veterans

5 Bladeguard Veterans

2 x 5 Assault Intercessors

10 Primaris Crusaders

Black Templars Vanguard

Marshal in Terminator armor with relic blade and storm shield, Frontline Commander

2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts with multimeltas and fists

5 Assault Terminators with thunder hammers and storm shields

We rolled and got Retrieval Mission. Yay, nice. Oh, right, it's a Strike Force Mission - but you guys know that already. In any event, we rolled off, I got first deployment (Defenders) and then my opponent seized first turn. My opponent took To The Last, Stranglehold, and Spread the Sickness. I took Oath of Moment, Raise the Banners and Assassinate.

In the first turn, he killed 4 Primaris Neophytes with his volkite Contemptor Dreadnought, as well as 2 Assault Intercessors with one of his Plagueburst Crawlers. Fortunately, I passed morale for them. Maybe I lost 1 Bladeguard Veteran, while the Blight-haulers and second Plagueburst Crawler put like 6 or so wounds on one of my poor Contemptor Dreadnoughts. I wasn't able to do much, maybe killed a single Myphitic Blight-hauler with my Contemptor Dreadnoughts, but that was about it. He surged ahead in points thanks to Stranglehold and Spread the Sickness, though I put three banners down with my Troops. Yay? As for my Redemptor Dreadnoughts, they killed maybe one Blightlord Terminator here or there, but other than that, did absolutely f all despite the Primaris Techmarine awakening the machine spirit on one of them.

During the second turn, the Deathshroud Terminators dropped in my backline, charged and killed the Primaris Techmarine. Ouch. I heroically intervened with my Primaris Marshal, but didn't do much. I completely forgot that he had Master Bladesman that gave him another Attack and allows him to fight first, as well as the Bones of Hauser. UGH! Never mind...anyway, he took a few wounds and maybe killed like one Deathshroud Terminator. Stupid of me. The Myphitic Blight-haulers and Blightlord Terminators and Poxwalkers charged my wounded Contemptor Dreadnought and killed him, while putting like 4 or 5 wounds on the other one with the multimeltas or whatever. The volkite Contemptor Dreadnought wiped out the Primaris Crusaders. Damn. Ouch. I failed to kill anything. Sigh. The Plagueburst Crawler killed another 2 Assault Intercessors, leaving just the Sergeant in place to camp on the objective, ouch. The Bladeguard Veterans then charged the Blightlord Terminators and maybe took out one? The Contemptor Dreadnought also took out another, but other than that, I don't think he did much. Sigh. Once again, my Redemptor Dreadnoughts did little in shooting, maybe killing one or two more Blightlord Terminators, then they charged and killed the Deathshroud Terminators after my Primaris Marshal was slain by them - stupidly enough, I forgot about the Bones of whatever, which would have reduced all damage to 1. Whoops. That was a silly mistake. Oh, well. On the other hand, my Marshal in Terminator armor and the Assault Terminators deep struck in my opponent's deployment zone, made their charge and destroyed the Plagueburst Crawler with thunder hammers. Nice.

In the third turn, my opponent got ahead on points because he had more objectives than me, and he was really ahead in points because of Stranglehold. I did manage to get points for Oath of Moment, thankfully, but I doubt that would be enough. He killed the other Contemptor Dreadnought, wiped out the Bladeguard Veterans and killed 3 Terminators. Ouch. Geez. My Contemptor Dreadnought did make all of his warded 5+++ saves against the mortal wounds during the psychic phase and refused to die from foul sorcery, but he couldn't do anything against the Myphitic Blight-hauler's multimelta. Damn. I was losing the game and losing very badly at this point, my forces vanishing off the board as they were taken out.

Then my Redemptor Dreadnoughts killed the Blightlord Terminators and Myphitic Blight-haulers and annihilated one of the Poxwalker squads. Phew. The Assault Terminators charged into the Poxwalkers, as did the Marshal in Terminator armor, but bad rolls saw me whiff and I think like 3 or 4 survived? Maybe less. Anyway, I was somehow able to kill all of his Terminators and Myphitic Blight-haulers, which was good. Unfortunately, he then killed all of my Bladeguard Veterans with his volkite Contemptor Dreadnought after locking them and the Emperor's Champion in combat with his Poxwalkers. Yikes.

He managed to kill another Terminator with psychic spells, my Warded saves not doing anything this time. Then my Redemptor Dreadnought, Marshal in Terminator armor and the last Terminator charged into the Characters and killed the Plague Surgeon and Foul Blightspawn or something. I can't remember. I think I managed to kill a good bunch of Poxwalkers too because my other Redemptor Dreadnought and Assault Intercessors charged into them, but they fell back in my opponent's last turn. The Contemptor Dreadnought killed 4 Assault Intercessors, and I spent 2 CP on Insane Bravery to make the Sergeant pass morale automatically - I sure as hell wasn't going to risk it. He charged my Redemptor Dreadnought for some reason, got smashed apart by the Terminator's thunder hammer, and then blew up and killed the poor Terminator. The Marshal in Terminator Armor then slew the Malignant Plaguecaster, allowing my Redemptor Dreadnought to consolidate right into the surviving Poxwalkers and killed them.

That swing allowed me to come back into the game. By now, my opponent - who had been ahead in points because of Stranglehold and primary objectives - no longer had the units to hold objectives, so I caught up in terms of primary, denied him Stranglehold, and got a huge boost in scoring Assassination points by killing three Characters. I finished off what remained of the Poxwalkers with plasma pistol and heavy bolt pistol shots, and then fired on the last Plagueburst Crawler with the plasma decimator, but didn't kill it. On the other side, my other Redemptor Dreadnought killed the Tallyman with a blast from his plasma decimator, and then he charged the Lord of Contagion...only for me to roll a 1 and 3 2s. What the f. And he made his 4++ invulnerable save against the only wound I dealt to him, so I couldn't kill him. Ugh. Oh, well, I did score 12 for Assassinate. The other Redemptor Dreadnought - wounded because the Plagueburst Crawler fired his guns into him last turn - charged, but was slain outright in overwatch, so I couldn't kill the damned thing. Not that it mattered - I still maxed out on Oath of Moments because I had units near the center and I didn't fail morale or fall back. Yay.

Thanks to the Assault Interecessor Sergeants - both of whom survived - I succeeded in claiming 2 objectives, and the Marshal in Terminator armor scored a third one. The Redemptor Dreadnought as well, charging the Lord of Contagion - and if necessary, I could pop off the Stratagem to give him Objective Secured to score a 4th one, but I had all 15 for primary on the last turn. That, along with the boost from Assassination and maxed out Oath of Moments as well as Banners - my opponent failing to take any of my objectives - allowed me to somehow score an insane number of points. I won 97 to my opponent's 79. Very close game, both of us scoring quite a lot, but because I denied him To The Last, I managed to scrape a victory over him. Somehow I also denied him 3 points for Stranglehold in his last turn by killing a bunch of his stuff, as well as his Spread the Sickness only giving him 12 points total (he only had 3 units of Poxwalkers). So...yeah. Also, he ended the game with just 2 models - the Lord of Contagion and the Plagueburst Crawler - while I still had the Marshal in Terminator armor, 2 Assault Intercessor Sergeants, a Redemptor Dreadnought and the Emperor's Champion. I'll call that a nice victory!

Black Templars won again! I love this army! I can't wait to play them again tomorrow. That will be fun. I need to practice with them as much as possible before Renegade!

No comments:

Post a Comment