About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023 Year in Review?

I see the folks at Goonhammer doing this, so I thought it would be fun. However, I don't do New Year Resolutions, and I don't really have hobby goals. I mean, I have plans and an idea of what I want to do, but I don't make them my goals - most of what I want to do are entirely dependent on my finances. For example, if I don't have a job this spring (and that's looking to be the case), obviously, I can't buy much. So it would be pointless having a hobby goal saying I intend to paint x models or whatever, because that's not feasible. Not only that, Games Workshop often announce new releases and new models. I didn't know in Deccember 2022 that they would release the Legiones Astartes Battle Group near the end of 2023, for example. Nor did I know when they would eventually release the PDF for Imperial Militia. I'll just buy and paint whatever and whenever I like, and that's that.

As for games, I usually have no problem getting games because I go to Dreamers Vault every Saturday. So I don't see a point in setting a goal for playing x games this year because...why? I play when I want to, I play to have fun, not to meet...some numerical goal. And I can't be bothered to keep count. Also, I could say I want to do better at Horus Heresy Renegade in 2024, but it's more likely that I'll be back in Singapore in November and thus unable to participate. So yeah. Life happens. So I have no intention of setting hobby goals or New Year resolutions. Instead, what I'm going to do for this article is do a review of what I have done, have fun, and enjoy staring at the armies I did manage to assemble and paint. I might do that next year too.

Ultimately, this is a hobby. I don't want to stress over it or try to meet objectives/goals. I just want to have fun and enjoy myself, then pat myself on the back for whatever I've accomplished, even if I didn't deliberately set out to accomplish those. For now, I'm going to look back and see what I did do over 2023.

First, I assembled and painted new additions to my Imperial Guard army. I believe I added a Rogal Dorn tank, a Death Korps of Krieg platoon, a Commissar, a Cadian Castellan, and several squads of Kasrkins, as well as Armored Sentinels. In addition to the tanks I already have (Leman Russ Executioners, a Carnodon tank and a Stormblade), as well as a Primaris Psyker and a Tech-priest Enginseer, I pretty much have nothing else to add to my Imperial Guard army. I'm satisfied with it, and have no intention of expanding further.


So that's the first thing I did for 2023. Imperial Guard.


I think I gave away 3 Sentinels (the old ones) and 1 Leman Russ tank to my friend, so they have been diminished a bit, but quite frankly, I don't think I need them anyway. So yeah.

I think I added a Warlord Titan, and more Knights (2 Knight Castigators and 2 Knight Styrixes) to my Adeptus Titanicus collection.


Oh, and as you can see, my Imperial Militia are there too. So that's my second army of 2023. Imperial Militia. I say "army" but they really are more of Household Militia for my Questoris Knight Household in Horus Heresy. A tiny Allied Detachment to back up my Knights than an actual army.


Speaking of which, I pretty much completed my Thousand Sons army for Horus Heresy.


Doesn't look that different from my Thousand Sons army from 2022, and that's mostly because the only additions in 2023 are 5 more Cataphractii Terminators and 5 more Life Wards for my Numerologist Cabal. I plan to add the new Librarian Consul for Thousand Sons to my army, but that's something for next year because they'll only ship it next week (January 5th). Oh, well. I *might* get more MKIII Marines and turn them into Thousand Sons Despoilers, depending on whether Games Workshop release melee weapon upgrades in plastic for Horus Heresy, and also depending on whether I can afford it. If I do so, I might just sell the MKVI Marines and go all in on MKIII (plus I think I want to go Pyrae Despoilers instead of Pavoni Tactical squads anyway).

It is also possible I might just sell my Thousand Sons because I need to return to Singapore and I don't know if I can ship all of my stuff home. I know for sure I'm shipping my Knights back.


As for my favorite and first army, Imperial Knights, I added 2 Armiger Helverins. And here they are, along with my Imperial Militia (their Household Militia). I don't know if I plan to add any more Armigers, but chances are, I probably will not. Never mind the lack of money and that they are always out of stock, I won't be using them much unless I get to play massive games, and even then, I'll just proxy my Armiger Moirax as Helverins.


After that, I finished assembling and painting my Dark Angels battle group. Kind of proud of what I did with them. They're missing a Champion Consul (who's still out of stock, infuriatingly enough) and maybe a Rhino, but that's something for next year, I suppose. Again, depending on how much money I have, I might eventually get a Dark Angels Contemptor Dreadnought, but we'll see.


Last of all, I added a bunch of Skitarii to my Skitarii Hunter Cohort so that I can play 3,000 point games. I already have a huge Skitarii force, so...it wasn't that much. And I also got them cheaply because I bought them secondhanded (though I had to assemble and paint them myself). Getting them ready for the Pariah Nexus Crusade next year. Unfortunately, they didn't announce it in this week's preorders today. Yikes. I was so looking forward to it. Sigh. I *might* get a Sydonian Skratos, but again, that depends.


That's all! Again, I don't do hobby goals, but I do have concrete things I need to get done, as well as some ideas. I have a plastic Cerastus Knight Lancer that I plan to assemble and paint this week. Why the rush, you might ask? Well, because I want to play with him. Honestly, the only reason why I assemble and paint models is to field them on the tabletop and watch them wreak havoc on my opponents or withstand blistering volleys from my foes (that's why I play Knights, because I love the durability). Unfortunately, I'll have to tone down on the Knights because they seem...a bit too strong this edition. I don't know why. Aside from the matched play game against Adeptus Custodes, they have been stomping every other opponent in Crusade, and it's not fun for my opponents.

Hence the Skitarii Hunter Cohort. Yeah, I have one Knight, heh, but the point is to have friendlier and less one-sided games. I want my opponents to have fun too.

I *might* get a Cerastus Knight Castigator in the summer, while doing an internship. I don't know. Again, it depends on how much money I have. If I'm broke as feth, then obviously I won't. Probably wait until I get a job in Singapore before I spend some of my first paycheck on a Knight Castigator. Otherwise, yeah. That, along with plastic Solar Auxilia, is what I'll have my eye on for 2024, but again, if I'm broke as a joke, then obviously, I'll prioritize food, rent and bills. Needs must, and all that. I can tell you this for sure: I can't afford Legions Imperialis, and I probably will not be getting Space Marines or Solar Auxilia for Epic scale. Until Games Workshop releases rules for me to use Knights as my primary army, I probably won't play Legions Imperialis...simply because I can't afford it. I would love to play it, but...quite frankly, I don't have the money for it, and it's a bit daunting to assemble and paint an entirely new army. Sigh. That might or might not change, depending on what happens next year. Maybe I might finally get recognized for my efforts and be hired as a professional novelist or something (fat hope, that will never happen - if it does, I promise you I'll spend a significant amount on Legions Imperialis, building an entire armored company of super-heavy tanks, Leman Russ tanks and Heavy Aethon Sentinels). But...yeah.

Whether I get new models or armies or not, I will definitely be playing more games, whether it's Pariah Nexus Crusade, Horus Heresy or even Adeptus Titanicus. Looking forward to expanding more on Crusade next year! Not only am I excited to see the narrative progress, read up on what Belisarius Cawl is up to and join him in his quest to get both blackstone and steal Necron tech, I want to actually field my Skitarii Hunter Cohort against Necrons and see how they fare! If my Skitarii get crushed too many times, I'll switch back to Knights, and we'll see how that goes. If it's still too one-sided, then...we'll adjust accordingly.

I'll also be posting blog articles whenever I can. I have an Excertus Imperialis article planned eventually (more on Imperial Militia than Solar Auxilia, but we'll see). And if I have the time and energy, I'll do a repeat on the article I did for 7th edition Adeptus Mechanicus, but this time on Thousand Sons (Coven). Maybe Imperial Guard (Cadian Battle Group). But I might not bother because I need to rewrite my dissertation, and that takes up a lot of time and energy. We'll see. Like I said, I don't like setting myself "hobby goals" or New Year Resolution. So no promises, but it's fun to entertain ideas, and I enjoy writing them. Besides, nobody reads them (or wants to read them) anyway, so I don't feel any pressure to write them. I'll also throw in spoilers for whatever novels I read, and the next one coming up is Genefather by Guy Haley. That one, I think people read, because I usually post the link on the Warhammer 40,000 Lore thread in Reddit.

Oh, and to cap off what has been a fairly good 2023, here's my crowning glory.


I actually won a tournament. Heh. Yeah, it says Adeptus Titanicus, but I'm not the best Princeps. I'm the best Daimyo (basically the equivalent of Baron for my Knight House) because I fielded a Knight Household Army for the tournament. I basically went all Knights (or Knight Lances with a single supporting Warlord Titan). Yay! I guess this pretty much sums up my year. Great fun with my Knights, whether it's 28mm scale or Adeptus Titanicus. Knights of House Yato, we march!

No comments:

Post a Comment