About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, July 18, 2021

Summer Thawing Munera! Rogue Trader Tournament plus extra Incursion Game

 I attended the Summer Thawing Muneera! Rogue Trader Tournament yesterday in Next Level Wargames, Woodbury. Great place. I was hoping to do as well as last week's Incursion RTT, but alas...it was not meant to be. Oh, well. Anyway...

This was a Strike Force RTT, so 2,000 points. This time, I brought all Knights...probably because my Knight Crusader was the MVP in the tournament last Sunday and I was hoping to replicate his firepower. But I had to alter my list because...quite frankly, the Slayers of Beasts and Questor Imperialis weren't doing well for me. As much as I like charging up the table and getting stuck in, they die very quickly. I think. I can't remember what happened, but I was losing like 2 out of 3 games, or straight-out losing all 3 games with them, so...yeah.

So this time, I tried a Questor Mechanicus House. I swapped Slayers of Beasts out for Aggressive Persecution because I have so much melta in my list, and I thought that it was a lot better for my Knights to sit back and shoot from afar rather than charge up the table and get destroyed in combat (e.g. against Custodes or Terminators). Also, I preferred using Cawl's Wrath and Cold Eradication for Cawl's Wrath. Did it work? We'll see.

This was the list I brought:

Imperial Knight Super-heavy Detachment (Glorified History, Aggressive Persecution, Questor Mechanicus):

Dominus Knight Castellan with Cold Eradication and Cawl's Wrath

Questoris Knight Preceptor with Ironstorm missile pod, Omnissiah's Paragon and Helm Dominatus

Questoris Knight Crusader with thermal cannon, Ironstorm missile pod and Ion Bulwark

2 Armigers Moirax with volkite veuglaires

Armiger Warglaive with meltagun

So yeah. Hopefully the ranged Knights benefit more from Aggressive Persecution and regaining a wound a turn instead of charging up.

Match 1

The first mission was Overrun, if I remember correctly. I played against a Blood Angels player with a lot of Vanguard Veterans with thunder hammers and storm shields.























Blood Angels Battalion Detachment:

Primaris Captain with storm shield

Sanguinary Apocethary (I think? Could just be a regular Primaris Apocethary)

Sanguinary Ancient (I think? Could just be a regular Primaris Ancient...I'm not even sure he was an Ancient)

5 Incursors

5 Incursors

5 Assault Intercessors

2 Contemptor Dreadnoughts with 2 twin volkite culverins each

10 Vanguard Veterans with 6 thunder hammers

10 Vanguard Veterans with 6 thunder hammers

4 Sanguinary Guard

Whirlwind

I think that was about it, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, that was his Blood Angels list. I believe my opponent went for Titan Hunter, Octarius Data and Oath of Moment, while I took Engage on all Fronts, No Prisoners and Assassination.

I went first, and I proceeded to kill about 12 or so Vanguard Veterans with all the shooting that my Knights put out, and my Knight Preceptor killed a squad of Incursors in close combat. I forgot to grab an objective and scored 0 for my second turn. My opponent then charged his Vanguard Veterans up, along with his Captain, Apocethary and Ancient, and the Captain killed an Armiger Warglaive in combat. I then blew him up and did D3 mortal wounds to everybody, killing one Vanguard Veteran that he had resurrected. Then in my next turn, my Knight Crusader killed the Primaris Captain and I think Apocethary, along with the remaining Vanguard Veterans. My Knight Castellan did the same thing, destroying one Contemptor Dreadnought and killing the other Vanguard Veteran squad. My Knight Preceptor then killed the Ancient. He eventually killed one Armiger Moirax, but his poor Incursors and remaining Contemptor Dreadnought failed to kill the second one. However, my Knight Castellan proceeded to blow up the Whirlwind, and the Armiger Moirax destroyed the Contemptor Dreadnought with mortal wounds. I also stomped the Assault Intercessors to death with my Knight Preceptor, who also killed the Incursors. The Knight Castellan then killed the Sanguinary Guard who had jetpacked their way to grab an objective.

By turn 4, I had pretty much tabled my opponent. In the end, I won my first game 84 to 39. Phew.

Match 2

This time, the match was the Scouring, I believe, My opponent brought an Imperial Guard list that was Cadian.

Astra Militarum Battalion Detachment (Cadian):

Ursarkar Creed

Company Commander

4 Infantry squads with meltagun

2 Veteran squads with 3 meltaguns each

6 Chimeras with 2 heavy bolters each

Astra Militarum Battalion Detachment (Cadian):

2 Company Commanders

5 infantry squads with meltagun

Veteran squad with 3 meltaguns

6 Chimeras with 2 heavy bolters each

Something like that, I could be mistaken, but in the end there was a total of 12 Chimeras and 12 squads of 10 men, with 3 company commanders and Creed in total.

My opponent went first, and he brought my Knight Crusader down to like 5 or so wounds through sheer heavy bolter ouput and Overlapping fields of fire. I then proceeded to blow up like 4 Chimeras and kill the infantry, but my opponent was able to swarm me with bodies and capture the objectives. Furthermore, by the second or so turn, my opponent brought 2 of my big Knights down to about 5 or so wounds each, and then he killed my Knight Preceptor, who promply blew up and killed everything within 10" of him...including my weakened Knight Crusader, dealing 5 mortal wounds to him. Bloody hell. That wasn't what I was planning. Sigh. Even so, by the time the dust settled, he had nothing to threaten my Knight Castellan, who proceeded to point and delete everything else.

It took me like 5 turns to kill every single Guardsman on the table except for a single infantry squad hiding out of line of sight on one objective. I managed to get 15 points on the last turn, but because I didn't notice there was one company commander hiding inside a building, I didn't realize that my Knight Castellan didn't get the objective, and he could deny me another objective on turn 4. What the f?! Thanks to that blunder and complete oversight, I lost the game by 3 points. It ended 76-79 in my opponent's favor. Damn, I've to check the buildings for hidden company commanders next time. I wish he had told me, though. I assumed I had the objectives (he was the one keeping track of the scores), so he did not inform me that I didn't score that objective that I thought my Knight Castellan was on. Well, it's just a game, so whatever. A loss is a loss, and it's my fault for not noticing, so I'll take the loss and try to remember next time. Sigh. Could have won the game because I could shoot the company commander and/or stomp him, but I didn't know he was there the entire time.

Match 3

The last mission was Battle Lines, and I was up against a Space Wolves Successor Chapter. He had a lot of Bladeguard and Wolf Guard Terminators.

Space Wolves Battalion Detachment (Successor Chapter: Whirlwind of Rage, Stalwart)

Primaris Captain with storm shield

Primaris Chaplain, Master of Sanctity

Company Champion

3 5-men squads of Assault Intercessors

2 squads of Longfangs with missile launchers, Wolf Guard Terminator with Cyclone missile launcher

2 squads of 3 Bladeguard Veterans

2 Cyber Wolves

2 squads of 5 Wolf Guard Terminators with Cyclone missile launchers.

I think that was his list, I can't remember if I missed out on anything. But yeah. This was a rough game for me because I couldn't get one of my secondary objectives, which was Engage on all Fronts. From the start, I think one Knight lost 11 or so wounds, and the other lost a few too, from missile launchers because my opponent went first. I fired everything I got, but I had horrible, horrible rolls - and Stalwart made it worse. Didn't kill much in the first turn, except maybe a couple of Terminators? And a couple of Longfangs?

The Terminators and Bladeguard Veterans continued up the table, as did the Cyberwolves and 2 squads of Assault Intercessors, and they fired, but my Knights survived. Mostly. Even the Armiger Warglaive survived, until the Wolf Guard Terminators got into close combat and ripped him apart. I finally wiped out the 2 Longfangs, leaving just 1 Wolf Guard Terminator, and then the others crashed into my Knights, the Bladeguard Veterans - and the Company Champion, particularly, killing all of them. The Company Champion could reroll wound rolls against Characters - which was all my Titanic Knights because I gave them Warlord Traits. Ouch.

My Knight Castellan did a decent job, continuing to shoot and kill lots of them, and in the end I managed to kill almost everyone except the Primaris Chaplain, the Wolf Guard Terminator and 2 squads of Assault Intercessors. I rolled 1s and 2s for his stomp attack wound rolls...which was utterly ridiculous and summed up how awful my rolling was, and...he got wrecked by the Chaplain. I got tabled, and...yeah, that was a terrible loss.

I lost 36 to 97. Somehow, I managed to inflict 95 wounds on my opponent despite my subpar rolling, but hey, at least I tried.

Bonus Incursion Game

So I played another game against my friend today, who wanted to try out his Adepta Sororitas list. I think he chose the Sacred Rose, and the 2 of us have to figure out how his Sisters army worked because this was the first time he was playing it.

I chose an easy mission - Ascension, and I used the same Incursion list I did last Sunday. That's the one with a Knight Crusader, a Skitarii Marshal, 2 5-men Skitarii Vanguard squads, 2 5-men Sicarian Ruststalkers and 2 3-men Serberys Sulphurhounds. My friend fielded a Canoness, Celestine, a Dogmata, a Dialogus, 2 squads of 5 Celestian Sacresants, 20 Battle Sisters, and like I said, he was Order of the Sacred Rose.

He had first turn, and he moved his Battle Sisters up, advancing them, and then firing a meltagun. I made a save, so...that was it.

I then killed like 13 or so Battle Sisters with my Serberys Sulphurhounds and Knight Crusader, while one Sicarian Ruststalker squad walked off the table. The other Serberys Sulphurhound squadron and 1 Skitarii squad ran up to grab an objective, giving me 2. The Battle Sisters fell back and shot using a Stratagem and killed one of them. The Dogmata and Canoness charged, but my Serberys Sulphurhounds killed the Dogmata in overwatch, only to get squashed by the Canoness's blessed sword. The Celestian Sacresants then charged my Knight and did a few wounds to him, as did Celestine, and they brought him down to 12 wounds total before I crushed the Celestian Sacresants with Titanic Feet. The second squad of Celestian Sacresants charged my Serberys Sulphurhounds and fared better, killing about 1 or 2 of them, but the Alpha passed his morale.

Between my Skitarii Vanguard and Knight, I killed Celestine once, only for her to rise from the ashes like a phoenix on a 2+, but my Serberys Sulphurhounds and Skitarii Vanguard were not faring well in shooting and combat, and they eventually got wiped out by the Celestian Sacresants This being the second turn, though, they killed the Alpha of the Serberys Sulphurhounds first. I stomped on Celestine with my Knight, but she escaped with...what, 2 wounds? Damn. I had my Ruststalker squad show up in the backfield to grab an objective that the Dialogus left behind because she followed the second squad of Celestine Sacresants to kill the Vanguard and Serberys Sulphurhounds, and they failed the charge. Whoops. So did the other Ruststalker squad, so only the Knight and Vanguard made it in.

The Canoness then charged into my Knight, and between her and Celestine (I think she failed her wounds), they brought him down to 8 wounds. Ouch. I had been burning Command Points on Machine Spirit Resurgent, but yeah. The surviving Battle Sisters then killed 3 Ruststalkers with shooting. Ouch. Meanwhile, the Celestine Sacresants killed my Vanguard to secure the objective they were hoarding with Objective Secured. My Knight then killed Celestine for the second time with Titanic Feet. HA HA HA HA HA! She's not coming back from that!

My Knight and Skitarii then killed the Battle Sisters hiding inside the ruins to grab an objective, while my full squad of Ruststalkers planted a banner instead of trying to hunt for the Celestine Sacresants (I wanted them to come at me, ha ha). At that point, my friend called the game. He had 4 Celestine Sacresants left, and a Dialogus. He wasn't going to win against 7 Ruststalkers, 5 Vanguard, a Marshal and an 8-wound Knight who was using Machine Spirit Resurgent every turn. He could hide them inside the building, away from my Knight and camping on the objective, but I had 2 objectives to his, would get 3, and was way ahead on points. So...yeah.

Hey, at least he tried, and we got a feel for his army. We got used to the miracle dice mechanic, how to generate them, when to use them, etc. We also analyzed what worked, what didn't, and how to improve his army or play the game. It was fun. He was so close to killing my Knight! Celestine is a beast!

No comments:

Post a Comment