About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Stormtroopers...ahem, Militarum Tempestus Command Squads versus Hellblasters

I have a question for everybody. Which do you think is better, Militarum Tempestus Command Squads or Hellblasters?

Both have plasma weapons, but Stormtroopers can Deep Strike. On the other hand, Hellblasters' plasma weapons have AP -4. I know Hellblasters are tougher and have more wounds and a better armor save, but honestly, with the amount of autocannons, plasma weaponry and D2 weapons out there, I wouldn't put too much stock on them surviving as much as Stormtroopers. Furthermore, Stormtroopers are cheaper - 22 points as opposed to the Hellblasters' 33 (34 if you're taking Deathwatch - do not forget that the bolt pistol costs 1 point too!). So what do you guys think? Are Stormtroopers better or Hellblasters? Is it worth spending the 11 points for an extra AP and more survivability? I know you can take up to 10 Hellblasters, with minimum of 5, but you can take about 8 Stormtroopers with plasma guns for around the same number of points as 5 Hellblasters. Or you can spam 5-men Stormtrooper squads with plasma guns for ablative wounds and for 17 points less you get 2 less plasma shots, less AP, less survivability, but you also get Deep Striking, and they're cheaper, more expendable and can receive orders to re-roll those ones. Then again, Hellblasters can re-roll those ones too...

What do you guys think? I doubt I'll get any replies in the comments because I'm sure nobody reads this blog, but I'll ask all the same.

4 comments:

  1. Well the free advertising on Faeit 212 helps your readership base....

    I like the Stormtroopers, in Kill Team. The orders are free rerolls instead (and in addition) of CP Stratagems.
    For regular 40k i'd use Deathwatch Hellblasters to get rerolls as part of their Mission Tactics. Also they can be setup in reserve with the Teleportarium Stratagem. They're also good for helping with Heavy Support Relic Tax: FW Leviathan.

    Lastly, if you make your own Titan Godzillas everyone will love your blog even more... Surely it is Lore friendly that some Catachans performed a Dino-Rider style modification in the Jungle once or twice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I completely forgot about that.

      Hmm, Deathwatch's Mission Tactics only applies to wound rolls, right? Not hit rolls? Furthermore, I already have Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts for my Heavy Support, so I can use those instead (double twin lascannons Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts and double twin autocannons Mortis Contemptor Dreadnoughts!).

      Now that is a great idea! When I have the money I'll try that. Merging a Godzilla model with a Warlord Titan...

      Delete
  2. It depends on what you want your plasma to do.

    I tend to load my Stormtroopers up with Meltaguns over plasma, then target things that annoy me (Deredeo dreadnoughts and the like, I find the D6 damage better than D1 or 2 for this purpose but then melta is shorter ranged)

    I only use hellblasters in my Dark angels as if they do not move you get re-rolls of 1 to hit. (Plus Azreal is a cheapish character who can give them a 4+ invun.)

    I find that while hellblasters hit harder they are also more prone to be target #1 if you happen to go second and unless you have a stupidly expensive repulsor tank (Or Azreal support) to hide them in your opponent may wipe them out turn 1. Stormtroopers have the advantage of deep striking are cheaper and can be spammed {being troops}

    If you are taking the stormtroopers in their own battalion though the on 6's to hit you gain an additional shot/hit (I can't remember which they get) may swing the dial back towards the humble guardsmen. They still struggle to outdamage the dark angels hellblasters (thanks +1D 1CP weapons of the dark age stratagem) but should come out on top when compared to a standard marine hellblaster squad when you factor in orders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point.

      Stormtrooper doctrine is that if you fire a ranged weapon at half its range and under, every hit roll of 6 generates an extra shot, but these don't generate new shots on 6s.

      Thanks!

      Delete