About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Tyranids Commanding your swarm

Sorry, I just ended class and finished about half of my studying today (will still have another reading to do when I get home, and it's bloody freezing here in Minnesota). So forgive me for being late regarding the update on Tyranids.

Today we have Commanding Your Swarm for the Tyranids preview from Warhammer Community. So what do we have? Let's check it out.



Holy Terra...that looks insane. The old Hive Tyrant is back, and it's mad! I didn't know you could only take Hive Tyrant as your HQ back in 7th Edition. Huh. Well, I don't play Tyranids, I usually play against Tyranids, but now that you mention it, my opponents would only bring Hive Tyrants as their HQs. I thought that was because all the other options sucked. Apparently not. Poor guys. Still, why wouldn't you want to bring a Hive Tyrant as your HQ? It's so awesome!





Apparently Special Characters such as Swarmlord, Red Terror, Deathleaper and Old One Eye can be used as taken by any Hive Fleets. I don't think they can be HQ except the Swarmlord. I can't imagine Old One Eye serving as a HQ, but I could be mistaken. I know for sure the Swarmlord is a HQ option, however. Whatever the case, you can take any of these Special Characters for whatever Hive Fleet you choose, unlike poor me who has to take Martian Skitarii and Legio Cybernetica whenever I take Belisarius Cawl or Cadians if I take Knight Commander Pask or Lord Castellan Creed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if all of them can be taken as HQ, then that's great news for Tyranid players. Still, I suspect some of them will be Elites or Heavy Support in the line of Color Sergeant Kell or Sergeant Harker, who are Elites instead of HQ.





These awesome psyker guys got moved into the HQ slot now, with the regular Zoanthropes staying in Elites. They know Smite and Psychic Scream. I have no idea if Psychic Scream is the Tyranid version of Smite (like Magnus's mega-Smite or the Aspiring Sorcerers' lite-Smite) but it does look pretty scary. From the wording where it says it comes from the updated Hive Mine discipline, I guess it's a separate power from Smite. Combine with Shadow of the Warp and Kronos' Warlord Trait and you'll be running an anti-psyker army that would put the poor Culexus Assassin to shame. Oh, and the Neurothropes can heal your Zoanthropes with Smite. How cool is that?









He's back, and he's mad! Glad to see the Hive Tyrant still as badass as ever! Now they have a 4++ invulnerable save (Holy Emperor! What the HELL!?), Toughness 7 and 18" Synapse range as opposed to 12" for normal Synapse units. Want to make him even tougher? Well, give him a Bio-artifact and the the Adaptive Biology Warlord Trait!





To make matters worse, winged Hive Tyrants can Deep Strike 9" away from enemy units. I am feeling very, very nervous facing these guys now. Good Emperor, we're going to be screwed. I'm an Imperial Guard player, and I can see my Guardsmen and tanks getting chewed up by Deep Striking Hive Tyrants and other scary stuff. This also means my Imperial Knights will no longer be wounding them on 2+ with the Reaper Chainsword, and autocannons will now only wound them on 4+. Ugh. They just got a lot tougher to play against.



Yup. I'm so screwed. Sigh. On the other hand, it might make for a lot more balanced game because the games I played against Tyranids had me basically tabling them without losing a single Knight or losing just a single tank. So yeah, this might give them the edge they need to make matches a lot less one-sided. So I really can't complain unless I'm that sort of guy who wants to win by holding an unfair advantage over other Factions.



More Bio-Artifacts, yeah. The rest of them don't look as delicious, to be honest...



Yay. Break through invulnerable saves. Whoopee. Not bad, but not exactly awesome. I'm guessing Bio-artifacts are Relics, so why should I take this over others?



Not bad, good for dakka, but like I said, why should I take this over other Bio-artifacts?



This looks very decent, actually. I donn't mind it, especially since the 8" auto-hit is very tasty, but it'll be hard to get them within range. Usually stacked onto a Monstrous Creature in my backline with the Kronos Hive Fleet Adaptation so that I can hurl bio-plasma artillery from afar. On the other hand, that's exactly why I play Imperial Guard. I don't think I need to switch Tyranids to play the exact same thing, ha ha.

We'll be looking at Stratagems tomorrow, so stay tuned!

Speaking of which, I'm really tempted to create a Kronos Hive Fleet psyker army with Zoanthropes and Neurothropes, as well as a Spearhead Detachment of bio-artillery units of Exocrines and Pyrovores.

No comments:

Post a Comment