About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Battle Report 22

Today I managed to get a game against Space Wolves! I used the same list as last time, but my friend changed his list, hopefully to improve it. Today, we fielded 2,250 points so I could add my Taurox Prime, an armored Sentinel and a lascannon heavy weapons squad to my list.

Hmm, I think his new list comprised of Canis Wolfborn (his Warlord, and he picked the Legendary Fighter Warlord Trait), a Rune Priest, Thunderwolf Calvary, Blood Claws, Wulfen, Lukas the Trickster and a Venerable Dreadnought in a Vanguard Detachment, and a Spearhead Detachment of Bjorn the Fell-Handed and 3 squads of Long Fangs with a bunch of lascannons, plasma cannons and plasma guns, each of them having a Wolf Pack Leader in Terminator armor and storm shield.

I used the same Imperial Guard list I took last Thursday (for some reason, Games Workshop still hasn't delivered my Armored Sentinel...). So basically my Vanguard Detachment of my Tank Commander (Leman Russ Executioner with lascannon, plasma cannons, Kurov's Aquila and Grand Strategist Warlord Trait), a 2nd Leman Russ Executioner, a Leman Russ Annihilator, an Armored Sentinel with a plasma cannon, and 2 Wyverns, a Battalion Detachment of 2 Company Commanders (1 with plasma pistol, the other with a bolt pistol and a power sword), 3 infantry squads with a plasma gun and bolt pistols for the Sergeants, a Ministorum Priest, a Valkyrie with lascannon, heavy bolters and multiple rocket pods, a heavy weapons squad with 3 lascannons, a Primaris Psyker, and annother Battalion Detachment of 2 Tempestors Prime with Tempestus Command Rods, a 2nd Primaris Psyker, 10 Kasrkins, 2 squads of 5 Kamikaze Troopers with 2 hot-shot volley guns each, 2 Tempestus command squads with 4 plasma guns each and a Taurox Prime with a Taurox gatling cannon, storm bolter and 2 hot-shot volley guns.



We had Front-line Warfare again, and placed the 4 objectives in the no-man's zone and our respective deployment zones. Obviously my opponent got first turn since his highly elite army had so few drops and he had a +1 to his roll. I failed to seize the Initiative, and he went first. He used the Cunning of the Wolf Stratagem and placed his Wulfen on the hunt. Meaning they can Deep Strike at the end of his movement phase more than 9" away from my guys. Knowing that, I spread out my tanks and used my Armored Sentinel, Taurox Prime and infantry to bubble-wrap my tanks. My Primaris Psykers, the Company Commander with plasma pistol and 2 plasma command squads were embarked in the Valkyrie.

Turn 1

My opponent moved his Blood Claws forward with Bjorn and the Venerable Dreadnought, and Lukas the Trickster. The Rune Priest jumped forward with his jump pack, and his Thunderwolf Calvary moved and advanced along with Canis Wolfborn. The Rune Priest casted the Storm Caller power on the Thunderwolf Calvary and...failed. Whoops. The Long Fangs fired most of their weapons on the poor Valkyrie and brought him down to literally just 1 wound left. A couple of lascannons fired on my Leman Russ Annihilator, but did only 2 wounds to him. It didn't matter - the three squads mostly fired on my Valkyrie, who was probably saved by the Hard to Hit rule. Good Emperor, he only had one wound left. Ugh. The Wulfen charged my infantry squad that was bubble-wrapping my Leman Russ Annihilator and decimated them in combat before consolidating into my poor Ministorum Priest. The Thunderwolf Calvary, thanks to advancing, couldn't charge. Probably the only thing that saved me. My opponent gained 1 victory point for First Blood. As usual.

My turn was a convoluted one. Basically I dropped my wounded Valkyrie into hover mode and moved him forward to grav chute my guys into a building to take cover in it. My remaining 2 infantry squads moved forward to intercept the Wulfen that was dangerously close to my Leman Russ Annihilator, while my Ministorum Priest fell back so as to allow me to shoot them. I then Deep Strike my Kamikaze Troopers in the opponent's deployment zone, with the plasma squads on the left and the hot-shot guys on the right.

The Primaris Psyker tried to smite the Dreadnought, but my opponent denied the witch for one of them, but I managed to put about 2 mortal wounds on him with the 2nd smite. My Armored Sentinel put another 2 wounds on him with his plasma cannon. The first plasma command squad then blew him up with their supercharged plasma guns. The second plasma command squad fired and killed the first Wolf Guard Terminator. On the other side, my Kamikaze Troopers combined fire to kill at least the 2nd Wolf Guard Terminator with their hot-shot las-weaponry before my first plasma Kamikaze command squad took care of the rest. Well, it was quite convoluted as I said, because what happened was that the first Long Fang squad had one lascannon guy and one Sergeant left, the 2nd one was left with only one Sergeant. The Wyverns fired with their stormshard mortars (their heavy bolters doing nothing to the Wulfen because of their Feel No Pain) and decimated the third Long Fang squad, also leaving one Sergeant. The 2nd plasma Kamikaze command squad then split their fire, with 2 guys firing into the lascannon guy and the sergeant, and then 1 guy firing at 1 sergeant. Fortunately, I succeeded in killing every single one of them, emptying the building.


If I'm not mistaken, my hot-shot volley guns did absolutely nothing...maybe killed 1 Terminator - my first Kamikaze plasma command squad was the one that killed the majority of the Long Fangs. Sigh...anyway the Taurox Prime fired on the Wulfen and did almost absolutely nothing. I can't remember, but I think they killed one guy at most. The 2 infantry squads fired, with one of them receiving the First Rank, Fire! Second Rank, Fire! order from my Company Commander, and they managed to kill about 2 Wulfen or so. And one guy died from rolling a one for his supercharged plasma gun. Ouch. I remember by the end of my shooting phase, there was only 2 Wulfen left. Anyway, the lascannons heavy weapons squad fired on the Thunderwolf Calvary and one shot got through the storm shields' invulnerable 3++ save to deal 5 or 6 damage straight, killing one of them. The Leman Russ Executioners and Leman Russ Annihilator also fired on them, but I think I only killed another one at the most, leaving just 2 Thunderwolf guys left. I then had my 2 infantry squads and company commander charge into the 2 surviving Wulfen - despite falling back, my Ministorum Priest was still around to grant the extra 1 attack to my infantry. One failed the charge, but the other made it in, and my Company Commander joined in (I had to use a command re-roll to make the charge successful, which was dumb, and I failed to refund my Command Point - which was hilarious because I was earning 3-4 Command Points from rolling 5s and 6s every time my opponent spent his). Despite hacking away with bayonets, I only managed to kill one Wulfen, and the other survived to kill one Guardsman. Or was it two? I can't remember. Anyway I didn't lose many Guardsmen to morale, thankfully.

Turn 2

The Blood Claws and Lukas moved toward my 10-men Kasrkins, along with Bjorn. The Rune Priest moved toward my Valkyrie. The Thunderwolf Calvary moved right on top of my 2nd infantry squad, who failed the charge against the Wulfen, and Canis Wolfborn moved toward my Leman Russ Annihilator. Then the Blood Claws killed 4 of my Kasrkins with their shooting, and charged them. Oh, and the Rune Priest tried to smite my Valkyrie, but this time I was the one who denied his psychic spell with my Primaris Psykers. I failed to deny the Storm Caller power casted on his Thunderwolf Calvary, however,

In melee, the Blood Claws and Lukas killed the 10-men Kasrkin, wiping them out. I used the Counter-Offensive Stratagem and had my guys attack the last remaining Wulfen, but I only succeeded in doing one wound. Ouch. What a waste of 2 Command Points. He then wiped the floor with 3 more Guardsmen. Meanwhile, the Thunderwolf Calvary charged my 2nd infantry squad (whose plasma gunner blew himself up earlier) and killed 5 of them, leaving just 4 of them. Canis Wolfborn charged both my Leman Russ Annihilator and Ministorum Priest, and he failed the charge for the first one despite re-rolls, only to eat a lascannon shot in Overwatch and take 5 wounds straight. Ouch. He did run in and mopped the floor with the poor Ministorum Priest in combat, however. Oh well.

Oh, and something hilarious happened. The Rune Priest charged my Valkyrie, and took only one wound from a heavy bolter shot in overwatch. And then he failed to wound my Valkyrie. At all. Heh. It was just 1 wound.

Rune Priest trying to charge my Valkyrie.
I rolled for morale, and while the infantry squad embroiled with the Wulfen passed their morale test, the 2nd infantry squad lost 1 guy to morale because I rolled a 3. Now that I remember, I forgot to have my remanining guys strike back. Not that it mattered.

Anyway, in my next turn, I had my 3 guys fall back. Actually, screw it, I had all my infantry fall back from combat. There was no point having them tied up in combat with the Wulfen. Then I moved all my plasma Kamikaze Troopers closer to Bjorn while my plasma command squads, Primaris Psykers and Company Commander moved toward the Rune Priest. Psychic phase, and the Rune Priest denied the first guy's witch, but ate 2 mortal wounds from the second Primaris Psyker's Smite. Just 1 wound left. All my plasma guys opened fire on Bjorn, but because they were not in rapid fire range, I could only fire one shot each. Sad to say, I lost a Kamikaze Trooper to plasma supercharge, but I managed to put 6 wounds on Bjorn.

Nope...Valkyrie is still alive with one wound even after all that.
On the other side, my surviving 2 squads of Kamikaze Troopers opened fire with their hot-shot lasguns and hot-shot volley guns and killed most of the Blood Claws, leaving just 2 of them. Phew. But those two survivors and Lukas remained there to threaten my Kamikaze Troopers. Uh oh. I'll worry about him later. Back in my deployment zone, I fired the lascannons heavy weapon team and they failed to hit anything depsite re-rolls - I think I got one hit in, only to fail to wound...sigh. The Wyverns fired their heavy bolters on Canis Wolfborn but failed to take that one wound off him. Their Stormshard mortars fell on the Thunderwolf Calvary, but I think I only succeeded in wounding one of them. Can't remember if I killed him. Probably not. 2+ save because he was in cover against my Wyverns, after all. My infantry squad was ordered to Get Back into the Fight! by my Company Commander and they actually killed Canis Wolfborn with a lasgun. Yeah, get this. Not the plasma gun, not the Sergeant's bolt pistol, but a single lasgun round took down the mighty Canis Wolfborn. They weren't kidding when they said the humble lasgun was what accounted for the most kills in the galaxy. Anyway, after Canis Wolfborn was slain by a single humble lasgun shot, I earned 1 Victory Point for Slay the Warlord.

Holy Terra!

The Leman Russ Executioner fired on the Thunderwolf Calvary and despite the tank order to get as many hits with his Executioner cannon as possible, only succeeded in killing one of them. It was up to my Leman Russ Annibilator to kill the sole remaining Thunderwolf Calvary, and he did so. I breathed a sigh of relief when my opponent failed 2 of his saves and 4 damage killed that last guy. The lascannons fired on the last 2 surviving Blood Claws and wiped them out.

My Primaris Pyskers, 2 plasma command squads and Company Commander then charged the Rune Priest - and none of them...yeah, seriously, none of my first 4 units killed him. He saved against my first Primaris Psyker, and my second Psyker failed most of his hits, while my plasma command squads didn't do much and he saved against the little wound they did. It was up to my Company Commander and his chainsword to deal 2 wounds...only for the Rune Priest to finally fail that one save and he bit the dust. Deja vu...it seems that my Company Commander is always coming in to save the day with his trusty chainsword. Didn't he do the exact same thing against that wounded Terminator last week? Hack him down with his chainsword when my Primaris Psykers and 8 plasma guardsmen failed to do anything to him? Wow...this Company Commander is a master duelist.

Well, I essentially tabled my opponent in 2 turns. He only had a 2-wound Bjorn and Lukas left. I still had all my tanks and my Valkyrie, who had flown out of combat (Fly is so convenient), despite only have one wound left. The Armored Sentinel and Taurox Prime who did nothing during the second turn. And half an infantry squad - the one who had the honor of killing the mighty Canis Wolfborn with their humble lasguns, and 2 Guardsmen. And 4 squads of Kamikaze Troopers and their 2 commanders. And 2 psykers. And 2 company commanders, with 2 plasma command squads. As there was nothing he could do, and he couldn't prevent me from capturing all the objectives and I was on course to destroy both Bjorn and Lukas during my next turn, he decided to surrender.

Somehow I managed to win against a scary list. Well, I'm going to have to once again ask everyone for advice on behalf of my friend. How should he have improved his list? Is he bringing too many Long Fangs? Does he need more Wulfen and Thunderwolf Calvary? Those guys were terrifying. They wrecked my infantry and killed them. Ouch.

Anyway, I look forward to playing more games with my Imperial Guard. I hope I get my Sentinels soon so that I can field a Brigade. We'll see if they're more powerful that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment