About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The facts of Faction

Oh yeah, I just found an interesting tidbit that I thought I should share. Well, we probably all know about it already, but this confirms what we've suspected so far.

Hey Warhammer 40000, can a single detachment (say, a battalion) combine different armys? For example, could a single Imperial battalion contain both Space Marines, Skitari and Sisters?
LikeShow more reactions
Reply
4
3 hrs
Warhammer 40,000 They must simply contain the same keyword. That can be as all-encompassing as "Imperium" or be really specific like "Ultramarines". The more specific you make it, the more army bonuses you will get...

Cool! So in other words, you can build a Battle-forged army from various Factions as long as they are all Imperium! Obviously I doubt you can build a xenos army of Tau and Orks, but for Imperium players, this is great news! That means I can field a combined Skitarii-Imperial Guard army. For example, Skitarii Vanguard as Troops and Leman Russ tanks as Heavy Support! And still have space for Onager Dunecrawlers! It would be great to field a Super-heavy Deatchment of a Stormsword and a couple of Imperial Knights as well!

There's lots of ways you can build it, and it's very flexible. For example, you want Imperial Guard Leman Russ tanks, but you don't want their infantry. Then take a Grey Knights Terminator squad for Infantry! An Adeptus Mechanicus Tech-Priest Dominus as your HQ to repair those tanks! Stuff like that!

If course, the flipside is that I get more bonuses if I field a complete Imperial Guard army as opposed to my Skitarii-Imperial Guard hybrid army, but we shall see. Anyway, I think this is good news and allows for a ton of flexibility yet doesn't get too overpowered because you don't get the bonuses, unlike Formations of the past where you just take whatever Formations and group them together for the various bonuses. This edition is shaping up to be really awesome!

7 comments:

  1. I have all 6 rulebooks (5 faction books plus the core rulebook) already. If you have any questions about certain things, ask.

    I won't scan pages because copyright is a thing I respect but I will tell you as much as I can.

    Btw- Leman Russ tanks have a special rule that makes it so their turret mounted weapon never suffers the -1 penalty for moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that was fast! I thought they would only be released after June 17th! Thanks, I'll ask you if I think of any questions. But no, I certainly won't ask you to scan it. I'm going to buy my own copy.

      What kind of bonuses do Imperial Guard armies have, and is the Adeptus Mechanicus Faction an amaglamation of Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus forces or are they split into two sub-Factions?

      Delete
    2. Store copies have been sent to GW stores and my friend is the manager so lets me go through them. Can't take them home but can browse at my leisure.

      Astra Militarum: I never played them so I honestly can't tell you what has gotten better/worse. You'll need to ask me more specific questions, haha. Orders and Tank Orders are in, they seem universally good as well.

      Any model with Voice of Command can issue them: Company Commander, Platoon Commander, Tan Commander (can only issue Tank Orders), and Tempestor Prime. Commissars can't. Is that new?

      Each model with Voice of Command can issue one order per turn, but they work automatically. A unit can only be affected by one order per turn.

      Valkyries can carry 12 models (Heavy Weapon Teams count as 2, Ogryn count as 3). Vendettas seem to be missing, maybe those go in the Forgeworld book?

      Ad Mech is all one army now but Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus still exist within it as keywords.

      So ALL Ad Mech armies have the faction keywords IMPERIUM, ADEPTUS MECHANICUS and -FORGE WORLD-, and then the units also have either the CULT MECHANICUS or SKITARII keywords as well, depending on what they were before.

      AdMech has the most faction keywords I've seen haha, Tyranids literally just get TYRANIDS and -HIVE FLEET-, and Cults only get TYRANIDS and GENESTEALER CULTS.

      Delete
    3. Ah, I see. That's good. It's not new, Company Commander, Platoon Commander, Take Commander and Tempestor Primes are the only ones who can issue orders in the old Edition. Commissars are outside the chain of command (fluff) so they can't issue orders on the tabletop. And yeah, that seems to be the same. The only difference is that we used to have to take a leadership test for the unit receiving an order. If they fail the rolls, the order fails. At least they work automatically now.

      WHAT?! They removed the Vendetta?! WHY?! How could they?! Then what am I supposed to do with my Vendetta gunships now? Convert them back to Valkyries? For the love of the Emperor...

      Ah, thanks. That makes sense. I suspect specific Forge Worlds will have different bonuses, but we'll have to see.

      Delete
    4. Currently specific Forgeworlds, Tau Septs, Hive Fleets etc don't grant any bonuses. I suspect that they will when the actual Codexes are released but they don't at the moment.

      Delete
    5. I see, that certainly sounds cool. We'll have to wait, I guess.

      Delete