About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Friday, September 2, 2022

Horus Heresy Thousand Sons

I managed to assemble part of my Thousand Sons army for Horus Heresy. As you probably already know, I'm a big fan of the Thousand Sons during the Horus Heresy, especially because I read Graham McNeill's A Thousand Sons and other stories. So if I were to choose a legion during the Horus Heresy, I would select the Thousand Sons.


Also...sorcery. Psykers. What more do you want? Well, back in the old edition (both 7th edition and Horus Heresy 1.0), I didn't like the psychic phase because of how convoluted it is. Warp charges and all that weird stuff, plus rolling for powers. Ugh. Well, everyone goes for the Primaris powers anyway, but even so, it wasn't very fun to play with.

Anyway, I kitbashed the MKVI tactical squads from the Horus Heresy box set, using the Achean pattern helmets for Thousand Sons, as well as the Thousand Sons shoulder pads. Looking cool, right? I hope. The point was to have my army look as "Thousand Sons" as possible, whatever that means. Not only did I use the Achean pattern helmets for almost all of my models, I swapped the power swords out for kopesh swords. With the exception of the Librarian (who's using a force sword), anyone using a sword is bearing a kopesh sword. That means the Cataphractii Terminators, the Sergeants of the tactical squads and even the Previan. Yeah, I know I'll get yelled at. "Why would you equip your Terminators with powerswords, you moron!? They should get power fists! You don't have any AP 2 in your army! You'll lose for sure!" Well, I couldn't care less if I lose. Kopesh swords are Thousand Sons. I'm playing Thousand Sons. So kopesh swords it is, even if they are only AP 3.


Yeah, I converted one of the Praetors into a Previan, and he's accompanied by a Techmarine. As you can see, I have four Castellax-Achea battle-automata at the back, and this Thousand Sons army is going to use the Achaean Configuration Rite of War. I told you back when the Lion and his Dark Angels legion were invading the Death Guard homeworld of Barbarus that I planned on creating this Achaean Configuration Rite of War when we had the whole Ghosts of Zhao-Arkhad thing. So yeah, I'm staying true to my word!

Oh, the other Praetor I'm using as a Librarian. I don't know how to convert him into a Librarian, but I suppose his Achean pattern helmet should be enough to let my opponents know he's a psyker.


What else? Right, you can see that my Cataphractii Terminators are fitted out with volkite chargers and a plasma blaster...except that it's not an ordinary plasma blaster. It's an aetherfire blaster! I'm going for theme over meta here, and I know people will ridicule me for it, but I'm just going to field my Thousand Sons with aetherfire blasters and aetherfire magna-cannon. Does it suck? Yeah. Do I care? No. Gonna play for fun, and I built my army around the aetherfire theme - why else am I using the Achaean Configuration? I might eventually get more Castellax-achea battle-automata, another Techmarine, and I'm waiting on plasma guns to convert my remaining tactical squads into support tactical squads with aetherfire blasters. It's an army with aetherfire weapons! And volkite too, because I like volkite.

Oh, you'll notice that the tactical squads are all equipped with chain bayonets. Yeah, I did that on purpose - I had them all equip asphyx bolters. So not only their shooting, but also their melee have Shred. Is it worth the points? Probably not. Do I care? No. Like I said, it's all about theme. So if they have Shred asphyx bolters, I might as well give them Shred chain bayonets.

I'll probably get my ass kicked, but hey, at least my army has style. Both aesthetically and thematically. Let's see if I can get them all painted in time for the Horus Heresy narrative event during Renegade next Saturday. I can't wait to see how they will fare! Even if I lose badly...

No comments:

Post a Comment