About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Friday, September 29, 2017

Armageddon and the end of the world

What's up, folks? Today we have Armageddon and the end of the world, I mean...ahem...the world formerly known as Ulanor. Warhammer Community has gladly provided what seems to be our last Imperial Guard preview, and it's none other than the Armageddon Steel Legion!



So where's Yarrick? I read through the whole article and there's no mention of poor Yarrick at all. Oh well. Then again the preview on Catachan Jungle Fighters didn't mention Colonel Straken, so whatever. Anyway, what can our Armageddon buddies do?



Fluff says they've adapted to fighting Orks and Daemons. Really cool.



Well, I ain't interested in that. I just know Armageddon Steel Legion is supposed to be a mechanized force. So how does their mechanized tactics translate into the tabletop? Well...it seems fun. Just look at what they have.



And you thought the Vostroyans were good! I was thinking of throwing 30" plasma gunners about the tabletop, but then the Armageddon dudes came along and laugh. "You can rapid-fire your plasma guns at 15"? Cute. We can do it at 18"."

Yeah. So if I want to go with my plasma gun strategy (which I probably will not), I will most likely go with Armageddon instead. Furthermore, it seems that my Leman Russ tanks and other vehicles will be a lot more resilient against autocanons, heavy bolters and heavy flamers. Basically AP -1 weapons. I suspect it's good not only for Chimeras, but also for Hellhounds to get close to the enemy infantry and unleash their inferno cannons and heavy flamers without worrying about AP -1 weapons.



So yup here's the Chimera. They have an interesting Stratagem that I can't say I'm fond of, but hey, at least it mitigates the plasma gun thing.



So yeah. Plasma gunners jump out of the Chimera and they shoot stuff with super-charged plasma guns that can rapid-fire at 18". Heh.



Okay, now this is confusing. Uh, what? The Warhammer Community article claims that you can use the Stratagem and order as a deady one-two punch or in tandem, but when I look at the order, it says the order may not be issued to a unit with disembarked in the preceding Movement phase. So you can't use the order to order a unit that just benefited from the Armored Fist Stratagem. Meaning, for example, if my plasma gunners jumped out of a Chimera and unload their supercharged plasma guns at 18", re-rolling ones, I can't exactly order them to Mount Up! because they just disembarked in the preceding Movement phase. You failed us, Warhammer Community! Hyping up their new orders so much that you didn't check your rules and made such a disastrous error!

Good thing your friendly regimental Commisssar (ahem, yours truly) is here to set the record straight. Otherwise how are you going to explain this to the Emperor!?



Why does this guy look like Death Korps of Krieg? Speaking of which, I think you can field Death Korps of Krieg using Armageddon Steel Legion models and their regimental doctrine...no, wait, actually you can use the Armageddon Steel Legion models for your Death Korps of Krieg, and then field them using the Valhallan Ice Warriors regimental doctrine, because that doctrine and their Stratagem is much fluffier for the Death Korps of Krieg. Who cares about the Imperial Index now? Do it!

Oh, right, and in this last preview Warhammer Community has finally revealed Relics! WOOHOO! Now let's take a look at some of them.



Now that's pretty neat! It basically allows you to SURPRISE! ambush an enemy by infiltrating your Company Commander and Command Squad of 4 plasma gunners right within 12" rapid fire range (if you're not using Vostroyan or Armageddon doctrines). Stick them 9" away from whatever you want to destroy and unleash 8 supercharged plasma shots into your target! Re-rolling ones, thanks to your Company Commander giving the order.

And guess what? Kurov's Aquila, the Relic I used in my 7th Edition Imperial Guard army (because I was using plasma before it became overpowered), is back! And it's much better than ever! Since we have the Take Aim! order, the whole Preferred Enemy thing has become redundant, so I'm pleased to see Kurov's Aquila make a comeback in the form of this:



Yeah. That's awesome. I'm going to do that every time my opponent uses a Stratagem, and it looks like I can get a free Command Point 1/3 of the time. I can't wait to see my opponent's expression when I do get that 5+!

And we have Relics and Warlord Traits that turn your Company Commander or whoever into a melee expert.





I probably will not play Armageddon Steel Legion, but this is so cool.

Oh, and we have a new unit. The Ogryn Bodyguard. WHAT?!



This is just freaking hilarious.



What can I say? I don't use Ogryns, and I probably won't, but this looks extremely fun. Anyway, I think that's the last of the previews, so...until next time! Oh, and you can pre-order your Astra Militarum codex tomorrow. I'll probably write an article later about spoilers on Cadia and other stuff (because they didn't get featured) and think about what to do about my Imperial Guard army back home (probably just sell it) and if I should just buy a new one in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment