About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, October 10, 2021

First Kill Team Game

I finally got to play the new Kill Team for the first time today. Or yesterday, given that it's past midnight. Oh, well. It flows much better and is more fun than the original Kill Team.

Anyway, because this is my first game, we decided to go simple and try the first Open Play mission, disregarding the Tactical Ops cards and building a deck for secondaries. We just wanted to roll dice and get a feel of the game, you know what I'm saying?

Funnily enough, my opponent and I decided to field the contents of the new Kill Team box - my opponent brought his Ork Kommandoes that he bought from me, while I brought my Death Korps of Krieg, which I would be fielding as Draconians (we wear similar uniforms, I guess). Veteran Guardsmen, just in case I'm not clear enough, since I literally built it out of the Kill Team box set.

I managed to get first for initiative, and thanks to strafing run plus a sniper shot from my sniper, I killed the Burnaboyz, only for him to get sniped off in return by the Ork sniper. Ouch. The coms guy ran to secure an objective, as did a Veteran trooper, but the poor coms guy and medic got blown apart by the bomb squig. Ouch. On the other hand, the meltagunner did 10 wounds to the Nob, leaving him with 3. Most of the Ork Kommandoes were concealed, so I couldn't do much, though I managed to kill another Kommando - the slugga one - with combined shots from a flamer and krak grenade as revenge after the slugga ripped apart my Veteran Trooper apart (he did get injured by a krak grenade thrown from him earlier, so he was also taking revenge). The hot-shot lasgunner and plasma gunner killed the rokkit launcher Ork before he could get a shot off, so I lost like 4 guys or so in the first turn, but at least I managed to kill 3 Kommandoes and wound the Nob. The Veteran Sergeant secured the objective, so I had 2 objectives, while one of the Kommandoes secured one objective for my opponent.

Fortunately, in the second turn, my meltagunner was able to finish off the Nob, but he got charged by the blade guy and got locked in combat for a bit. The Zealot rushed to secure objective, then charged the other Kommando. Meanwhile, my surviving Trooper secured the other objective again. The Sergeant, plasma gunner and flamer charged the coms Kommando, or rather the flamer got charged by him after he killed the Kommando Grot with his flamer before my Sergeant and plasma gunner charged the coms Ork - which meant the Ork sniper couldn't shoot any of my guys. Heh. For about two turns, the Orks and Veteran Guardsmen were locked in combat, but my plasma gunner rolled 3 1s and died to the coms Ork, while he survived the Veteran Sergeant's power sword. Damn.

At least I was leading by objectives 4-1 at this point.

In the third turn, everything fell apart for me. The Ork sniper sniped and killed my Veteran Trooper, and though I did a few wounds to the Ork bladesman, he and the other Kommando killed the meltagunner and Zealot in melee. On the other hand, the flamer guy fell to the coms Ork in combat, but my Sergeant finally killed the damed coms Ork with his power sword, though he took 5 wounds in return. Ouch.

At that point, I only had one guy left. The Veteran Sergeant. That was painful. And he only had 2 wounds left. My opponent had the blades Ork, the sniper Ork and 1 Kommando Ork. This wasn't looking good for me. Fortunately, the last turn - turn 4 - came, and the sniper Ork couldn't see my Sergeant because he was hidden behind a building. So I moved to secure an objective while the sniper Ork and the blade Ork secured 2 objectives.

Funnily enough, by the time the game ended, I won by objectives, scoring 5 victory points to my opponent's 3. Even though I literally only had one Veteran Sergeant with 2 wounds left when compared to the 3 Kommandoes - 2 of whom were at full health. If the game continued to turn 5, I would have lost. That was close! Phew! I almost got tabled, ha ha. But I actually won by objectives! It reminded me of the awesome cinematic where the poor Kriegsmen got wiped out by the Ork Kommandoes, only for them to succeed in their mission and "win" anyway. Oh, and the Nob getting killed in the cinematic (though by a chainsword instead of taking two meltagun blasts in the face). Heh. That was just hilarious.

This new edition of Kill Team was really fun to play. I can't wait to try it again in future!

No comments:

Post a Comment