About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Friday, January 3, 2020

First Apocalypse Game

So I finally tried out the new Apocalypse system for the first time. It took quite a bit setting up, mostly because I have to bring 2 boxes instead of 1, print and bring the Apocalypse datasheets - which are very different from the usual 8th Edition datasheets - and arrange a game with a willing party. Most of the times, I ended up screwing up, either coming late to the local friendly gaming store or forgetting to bring the datasheets. Nonetheless, I finally succeeded in setting up an Apocalypse game for once, and it turned out to be loads of fun!


Just to let you guys know, this was the first time we were trying out, so there was a lot of trial and error, plenty of mistakes, a lot more reading and wasting time trying to figure out how it works than actual gameplay. Once we finally got the hang of it, it turned out to be a very simple and quick system, and we could play through it very quickly.

My opponent brought an apocalyptic force of Blood Pact...well, Traitor Guard for those of you unfamiliar with the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I think he had 2 tank commanders, about 9-12 Leman Russ tanks (yeah, he had a lot of Leman Russ tanks, pity I can't remember the exact number) that he divided into two Spearhead Detachments, a Stormlord, a Baneblade and a Shadowsword in a super-heavy detachment, a couple of Battalions (about 6 infantry squads plus the various HQs and Chimeras), an artillery Spearhead with Wyverns, a Manticore and a couple of Basilisks plus several heavy weapon squads with mortars. Yeah, that was about 307 or 308 power level, I believe. Cool!



I brought 3 super-heavy detachment of Imperial Knights, which included an Acastus Knight Asterius and 2 Armiger Moirax, a Cerastus Knight Lancer, a Cerastus Knight Castigator and a Questoris Knight Gallant, 2 Questoris Knight Crusaders and a borrowed Dominus Knight Valiant. I also borrowed a Baneblade, and then I brought a single Skitarii Battalion with 3 squads of Rangers, a Vanguard of Secutarii Hoplites (I proxied my Vanguard as Secutarii to get 2 squads of 10) and 4 Servitors with plasma cannons and 2 Skorpius Disintegrators (since I only had one, I borrowed a Leman Russ Vanquisher and proxied him as a Skorpius Disintegrator), and a Spearhead of 3 maniples of 2 Kastelan robots (using my 4 Castellax battle-automata in place of 4 Kastelan robots) led by a single Cybernetica Datasmith.



And so the apocalyptic clash began. I think my opponent seized the initiative for the first turn, so he went first, and two of his super-heavy tanks (the Shadowsword and the Baneblade) all went into my Asterius. By the end of the shooting, the poor Knight Asterius had around 6 large blast markers on him, and the Kastelan robots had 4 large blast markers on them. The majority of the Leman Russ tanks had combined fire to ensure that he die. One of them fired a lascannon and placed a small blast marker on my Skorpius Dunerider, while the remaining Leman Russ tanks and the Stormlord placed about 5 or 6 blast markers on my Knight Castigator. The Basilisks and other artillery killed all 3 squads of my Skitarii Rangers, leaving me light on troops, and when the damage phase came, both my Knights actually survived with one wound each after making the necessary saves (and this was after losing yet another wound to morale - both of them). They were grievously wounded, though, so would be suffering penalties to their hit rolls and stuff. I lost a maniple of Kastelan robots, and the Skorpius Dunerider failed his save and took a wound.



Other than the Kastelan robots and the lances of Cerastus and Questoris Knights, I had ordered every other unit to take aim. This allowed me to take out both the Shadowsword and Baneblade (who actually survived with one wound, only to fail his morale) with combined shooting from my Knight Asterius, Armiger Moirax, Skorpius Disintegrators, the borrowed Baneblade and plasma servitors. Between the Knights and the Skitarii Rangers, I wiped out all of his infantry squads, while I managed to grievously wound 2 Leman Russ tanks (the majority of the Questoris Knights' firepower went into the Baneblade).

That was truly apocalyptic!



Unfortunately, we only had time to play one round because I stupidly came late (I had errands to run in the morning and afternoon...blame me for being a webnovelist who needs to maintain a daily schedule). But that was all right. The point was to get the hang of the system and test it out, which we did! Nice. I can't wait to see what else I can do next week! To prepare for Apocalypse next week, I got myself a new Skorpius Dunerider so that I don't need to proxy. As usual, I magnetized it so I can choose betweeen the Dunerider and the Disintegrator variant, and also to swap between the Ferrumite cannon and the Belleros energy cannon. I also went and purchased a Cerastus Knight Atrapos, so that I don't have to borrow the Knight Valiant and Baneblade again. We'll see what will happen tomorrow, but I look forward to trying Apocalypse out again!

No comments:

Post a Comment