About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, August 7, 2022

Liber Mechanicum

Warhammer Community announced the Liber Mechanicum preorder yesterday, which was cool! I'm looking forward to it, and I said as much on the Forge World Facebook page. Unfortunately, a friend came in and demanded to know why, because according to him, "they gutted the army list and are selling it back to me for a not insignificant sum."

...huh?


So this is what we have in our army list. The only thing that's missing that I can see is the Macrocarid Explorator. But everything is in there. Looking at my Taghmata Mechanicum book, I see that all of our old units are in there. Here's the contents page from my old Taghmata Mechanicum book:


So...what exactly are missing? Hmm, Draykavac and Inar Satrael, but then we have Persona Schismata in the Appendices, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them show up there. Or you could just use them as generic Archmagos Prime, I guess. It's not like your models have been invalidated. The Thanatar variants? I'm guessing they grouped all the variants under a single Thanatar page - you can simply swap out their weapons like you do for the Kratos tank or the Predator tank, no need to give the variants a single page each (like Predator Omega, Infernus, etc., just group them under the same page). Nothing to worry about, they aren't being removed or "gutted." Just compiled. Just like the Krios - the Venator doesn't get his own page, he's probably still under the Krios squadron page.

Other than that, it seems that we have additions rather than subtractions. The Arcuitor Magisterium, Arlatax, Vultarax, Karacnos Assault Tank, and the Knight Moirax Talon - most of whom have appeared in other Horus Heresy books, supplements or new rules when their models appeared (Knight Moirax, for example) - have been added, which makes it a lot easier to have all the rules for my models in one place rather than having to print out the individual datasheets and ferry them around (I had to print the Vultarax from Inferno, and the Knight Moirax Talon datasheets from Forge World PDFs, which isn't a major inconvenience, but it's nice to have them all officially published in a single tome). We even have the Knight Atrapos and Knight Asterius added in now! So...how exactly was our army list gutted? The only thing that was missing is the Macrocarid Explorator, and though that hurts, I don't really see why the guy was making such a big fuss.

Oh...I see why now. The flyers are all gone. Though, if you were playing Mechanicum to take the Crusade Fleet flyers like Avenger Strike fighter, Arvus or Lightning, I...don't know what to say. You're playing the wrong faction - you should be able to add them from the free Legacies of the Age of Darkness PDF that they provided the other day, or you can just ally in Imperial Army with their flyers. I guess? I mean, are you seriously complaining that our list is gutted just because we no longer use Imperial Navy (ahem, I guess Navis Imperialis during the Horus Heresy) flyers? And Tarantulas? I don't get it. We have the Vultarax, which is a much fluffier Mechanicum flyer than the Imperial Navy ones. I think he suits our army list better than having a bunch of Avenger, Lightning or Arvus planes, which, quite frankly, don't really match the Mechanicum army aesthetic.

The named characters might or might not be found in Persona Schismata. And they are still playable as generic Archmagos Prime. And if you're complaining that Mechanicum lost access to the traditional Questoris Knights and Cerastus Knights like the Paladin, Errant, Crusader or Lancer, then I'll just point out the Divisio Tactica: Questoris Household section to you. There are 16 pages for Knights alone. How many Knights do we have at the moment?

Questoris Knight Paladin
Questoris Knight Errant
Questoris Knight Crusader
Questoris Knight Gallant
Questoris Knight Warden
Cerastus Knight Lancer
Cerastus Knight Acheron
Cerastus Knight Castigator
Acastus Knight Porphyrion
Armiger Knights
Dominus Knights

11 different Knights. 13 if you want to split the Armiger Knights into Armiger Warglaives and Armiger Helverins or the Dominus Knights into Knight Castellans and Knight Valiants, but that's...unlikely. So 16 pages for 11 Knights, probably 3-5 pages for our special rules or Detachments (most likely we'll follow the Questoris Crusade Knight Army Detachment like in 1.0). Perhaps Armigers get Line, or whatever Knights you put in the Troops slot. I don't know if we're allowed to take the Mechanicum Knights such as the Styrix, Magaera, Atrapos, and Asterius in a normal Knight detachment, but hey, they definitely have their own datasheets, as you can see there.

How about the Secutarii, you ask? Well, they are probably in the Divisio Tactica: The Titan Legions. We have 10 pages for that, and we have four Titans currently. That leaves 6 pages for your Secutarii Axiarch and Hoplites and Peltasts. Right? Also, there isn't any Skitarii in here (and we never had any Skitarii rules in Horus Heresy 1.0), but I suppose we might get a Skitarii supplement one day, and the Secutarii belongs more with Skitarii than the Taghmata. I honestly do not know. We'll see, I guess. In any event, I don't think anyone plays Mechanicum to field hordes of Secutarii, and frankly speaking, you probably can still do that because I suspect their rules are in the Titan Legion section.

Oh, what about Ordo Reductor or Legio Cybernetica? Maybe they are in the section of "The Orders of High Techno-arcana"? Nobody said they were removed, why are you jumping into conclusions? What do you think the Orders of High Techno-arcana are for, if they aren't for Rites of War stuff like Legio Cybernetica or Ordo Reductor?

Anyway, point is...our army list isn't gutted, so I don't understand why the guy was whining about. If anyone understands, please let me know and explain to me why he thinks our army list was gutted. Because I simply don't see it. Honestly, people, let's chill and wait for the book to come out before being so...I don't know, condescending to others who are excited for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment