About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Friday, September 3, 2021

Vortix Prime Campaign

I joined a Crusade League that is being run by someone else this time. I really appreciate it, it's a hard thing to do, and I probably did a horrible job of attempting to run the Argent Campaign. Well, the most important thing is that everyone had fun. Well, I'm going to do my best to learn how other people run campaigns and Crusade Leagues and hopefully figure out how to do it in future. Hopefully I'll be able to improve the way I run campaigns.

Anyway, back to this particular campaign. Apparently we're visiting a world called Vortix Prime (?). It's an Imperial World, half agri-world with a few manufactorums scattered all across the planet. These fall under the jurisdiction of the Adeptus Mechanicus, of course...except that I didn't see any Adeptus Mechancus players today, strangely enough. I would have brought my Adeptus Mechanicus army, except that they didn't have enough Chaos players, so I offered to run Thousand Sons instead. Made sense to me because I always wanted to play Crusade with my Thousand Sons. You should be familiar with Ignatius by now if you've been following this blog. So Ignatius brought his Sapphire Drakes to Vortix Prime to help out one of his brothers.

The idea is that one of the ex-Corvidae Sorcerers in the Thousand Sons saw a vision of the future. Now he belongs to the Cult of Mutation (not Scheming...don't ask me why), and he sets into motion an intricate scheme that would see the Thousand Sons steal a bunch of archeotech from Vortix Prime. Vortix Prime, as I said earlier, has manufactorums under the remit of the Adeptus Mechanicus and agri-fields, but it also possesses relics from the Dark Age of Technology and a bunch of Archeotech. Now this Cult of Mutation Sorcerer has foreseen that Vortix Prime is also a Necron Tomb World, and that the slumbering Xenos would be awakening soon, and he plans to raid whatever relics he can before the Necrons fully awaken and overrun the planet.

To achieve that end, he redirected an Ork Waaagh! to assail the Imperial defenders. As the beleaguered Adepta Sororitas Preceptory fight off the Ork Waaagh!, the Thousand Sons infiltrate the planet to steal whatever relics from the Dark Age of Technology that they can find. Ignatius and his Sapphire Drakes Thrallband - of the Cult of Magic - has decided to help out the Cult of Mutation so that they can grab a share of the relics or archeotech for themselves, and that's where we find ourselves today.

So I played against a Necron player today, yay. It's the first time I've played against Necrons in 9th edition. I still remember the imbalanced games we had at the beginning of 8th edition where my Imperial Knights stomped them...to the point where I felt sorry for my opponent (and I think he sort of lost his temper, whoops). I was hoping they have better rules in their codex.

I think the Adepta Sororitas fought against the Orks and barely won, and my Thousand Sons (Cult of Magic) infiltrated the Necron Tomb to secretly help the Loyalists (my Thousand Sons are closest Loyalists), and probably screw up the Cult of Mutation's plans by destroying whatever Necrons we can so that the Imperium will survive and hold onto the planet. Heh. So Ignatius and his dudes ran into a bunch of recently awakened Necrons and we wrecked havoc in their tomb to slow down their awakening and steal some xenotech for ourselves.

Did we succeed? Well...let's findout.

The Mission was Tip of the Spear or something, an Incursion game from Plague Purge, I believe. My Holy Order was Shadow Operations, which means that if I win a battle where I performed a Shadow Operation agenda, I get extra Warzone Points for my faction/alliance. To achieve this end, I chose a Shadow Operation agenda, Secure Supply Caches, as well as Wrath of Sorcerers agenda.

Here's a quick rundown of my 50 power level Thousand Sons list:
Sorcerer in Terminator Armor, Seeker of Shadows, Arcane Focus
Exalted Sorcerer on Disc
5 Rubric Marines with inferno boltguns
10 Rubric Marines with warpflamers and warpflame pistol
5 Scarab Occult Terminators with soulreaper cannon and hellfyre missile rack
Forgefiend with Hades autocannon

My opponent brought a Necron list that looks something like this:
Overlord
Chronomancer
Technomancer
Royal Warden
10 Warriors with gauss reapers
20 Warriors with gauss flayers
5 Immortals with gauss rifles
9 Canoptek Scarabs
1 Canoptek Spyder












So yeah. My opponent went first, killed like 3 of my warpflamer Rubric Marines, and tried to grab whatever objectives she could. Then I wiped out the 10 Warriors with a combination of psychic powers and shooting from inferno boltguns, but the warpflamers failed to kill many of the 20 Warriors, with whatever I killed coming back with reanimation protocols. Ouch. I maybe killed a couple of Canoptek Scarabs in overwatch, combat and some psychic powers, but they made their invulnerable saves against the Spyder. Phew. The Exalted Sorcerer tried to kill the Chronomancer in close combat, but failed. Oh, well.

In the second turn, the Immortals tried to kill the Exalted Sorcerer, but he survived everything, only to fall to the Royal Warden. The Warriors revived back to full 20 skeletal warriors and shot my Forgefiend, only to deal a measly 4 or so wounds. The Canoptek Scarabs, Spyder and Rubric Marines continued chipping away at each other, with me making most of my invulnerable saves, so another Rubric Marine fell. So did a few Scarabs, so yay.


Then my Scarab Occult Terminators Deep Struck in the opponent's deployment zone, wiped out the Immortals and Overlord with mortal wounds from psychic powers, but their shooting didn't do much, with me only being able to kill like 6 or so, only for them to revive the next turn. And that was with the Forgefiend shooting into them too. Ouch. Oh, well.


The Forgefiend was left with 5 wounds after taking an entropic lance from the Chronomancer, while the shooting from the Warriors killed 2 and wounded 1 Rubric Marine. The Spyder and Scarabs continued trading blows with the Rubric Marines, and while I killed a couple more Scarabs, I lost more Rubric Marines to the Spyder.


Having enough, I had my Terminators move up and throw more psychic spells and shot the Warriors. This time, I managed to kill all but 3, only for them to fail morale and fail their combat attrition tests, rolling a 1 and a 2. So they were wiped out. The Forgefiend then charged and killed the Technomancer, I believe.

The Canoptek Spyder finally killed my Rubric Marines in combat and moved up to charge my surviving squad of Rubric Marines, killing another one of them, leaving just two. The Scarabs survived and stayed on the objective. The Chronomancer then attacked and destroyed my Forgefiend in combat. Ouch.

Then my Scarab Occult Terminators moved up to smite (my Sorcerer in Terminator Armor perils-ing and dealing 1 mortal wound to himself) and kill both the Royal Warden and Chronomancer with psychic spells. I used Malefic Scrolls to deal 3 straight mortal wounds with Smite from the surviving Rubric Marines locked in combat with the Spyder killing it, and then my Scarab Occult Terminators wiped out the Canoptek Scarabs with shooting.

That meant I effectively tabled my opponent on Turn 4, leaving me to complete the Secure Supply Caches Actions on Turn 5 while capturing even more Objectives. Yay. I think the game ended with 20 points for the Necrons and 50 points for Thousand Sons, with me completing 2 Shadow Operations. Phew. That was a close game. I had only 2 Rubric Marines and 6 Terminators (including Ignatius) by the end of the game, with everyone else wiped out. Not bad.

So the Necrons' awakening have been slowed down by the Thousand Sons, and the Cult of Magic grabbed whatever supplies they needed. Nice.

Oh, the Cult of Mutation ended up fighting against Tyranids, and from what I saw, they had a devastating first turn where they wiped out Genestealers, Hormagaunts and more, almost tabling the Tyranids player. I don't know how the rest of the game went, but I believe it would be a Thousand Sons victory unless the Tyranids player was somehow able to swing the game around during his turn. We'll find out, I guess!

Yeah, the Crusade game was fun and I hope to play more games again next Friday! Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment