About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Imperium versus Tyranids!

I didn't manage to do much yesterday, only building one Knight Moirax. I actually like the rad-cleanser, even though I still hoped for another Volkite Veuglaire. The rad-cleanser's ability to hurt anything that isn't a vehicle or Titanic on a 2+ is awesome, and allowed me to kill a bunch of low-save horde units, as well as wound stuff like Carnifexes and the 3 Damage outright kills stuff like Ripper Swarms. It's insane. But yeah, I ended up building one Knight Moirax and that's what it's all about! Maybe I should keep the Moirax siege claw after all, but we'll see.

Anyway, contrary to my original plans, I only had time to build a single Knight Moirax (I wanted to build both) before I was dragged away for a game. Well, not exactly. I wanted to test my Knight Moirax out so I was happy to get a game anyway. My opponent was bringing Tyranids, which meant there would be plenty of chances for my volkite weapons to shine. As a side note, I wish Games Workshop or Forge World would allow volkite weapons in 40K for the Imperial Guard. I have a single Carnodon tank with volkite, which is cool, but I also hope my Guardsmen can field volkite chargers one day. Just like the vaunted Solar Auxilia of old! Maybe we'll get rules for Solar Auxilia one day, but I'm not holding my breath. Besides, it's too expensive for me to get a Solar Auxilia army. Even so, I did want to kitbash with the volkite chargers, the hostile environment suits and either Tempestus Scions or Cadians to form my own volkite regiment (with plasma gun). I think Tempestus and their backpacks go better because volkite chargers make for cool alternative hellguns/hot-shot lasguns. But I don't think I'll ever do that because 1) money and 2) it's not very practical. How am I going to cut all the lasguns from the arms for volkite chargers? Ugh...



Anyway, the game. Yeah. My opponent brought a Flying Hive Tyrant, Old One Eye (a legendary Carnifex who's his Warlord), 3 other Carnifexes, a Tervigon, a Tyrannofex, 2 squads of 3 Tyranid Warriors, 2 squads of Termagaunts, 1 squad of 3 Ripper Swarms, 2 units of bio spore mines, a gigantic Harpy and 3 Zoanthropes. That's basically all I remember. Ugh. I brought a Supreme Command of 3 Leman Russ Executioner tank commanders, a Battalion featuring 1 Company Commander, a Kamikaze Captain (Tempestor Prime), an infantry squad with plasma gun in a Chimera, 2 squads of 5 Kamikaze Troopers (Kasrkins) with 2 plasma guns each in a Chimera, and a Super-heavy Detachment of a Knight Gallant, a Questoris Knight Styrix and an Armiger Knight Moirax with volkite veuglaire and Moirax siege claw.



We rolled off, my opponent seized the initiative and went first. He had all his Tyranids move up the table, basically. His Harpy essentially zoomed across the table. The Tyranid Warriors fired on one of my Leman Russ tank commander and took 6 wounds off him in total. I can't remember anything else, but I think there wasn't much in range, so he couldn't shoot much. He did cast Catalyst on the Hive Tyrant, and his Tyrannofex took about 6 wounds off my Knight Gallant, but on the whole, nothing happened because most of his units weren't in shooting or charge range.

I went next, and 2 of my Leman Russ Executioner tanks fired their lascannons into the Carnifex and took 5 wounds off him. The plasma went into the Hive Tyrant and I think he was knocked down to 6 wounds or less remaining. Maybe 5? I can't remember. The Knights had all moved up the table while all the Chimeras and Tanks remained stationary, so I could only fire at the Carnifex and Hive Tyrant. I could also hit the Termagaunts and Tyranid Warriors too, but I focused on the big guys. The third Leman Russ Executioner tank, on the other hand, fired on the 3 Tyranid Warriors that brought him down to half health (though I used the Jury Rigged Stratagem to bring him back to his top bracket) and wiped them out. YAY! The Chimera did a total of 2 damage to the Ripper Swarm and killed nothing. On the other hand, my Knight Styrix fired his big gun on the Tervigon and took several wounds off her, reducing her to 5 wounds. I killed a couple of Termagaunts with the Armiger Knight Moirax's volkite weapon, and the rad-cleanser auto-hit the Harpy and did about 6 wounds or so when my opponent failed his save. My Knight Gallant charged into and killed the Flying Hive Tyrant with his Paragon Gauntlet, and my Armiger Kight Moirax charged in and killed the Harpy with his siege claw. That was pretty good melee for me!

Turn 2, the Termagaunts concentrated fire on my Armiger Knight Moirax, with my opponent popping off a Stratagem that allowed them to add 1 to their wound rolls...except that their strength 3 fleshborer guns were wounding my Armiger Knight Moirax on 6s, so now they wound on 5s. Unfortunately, they didn't get a lot of wounds and my 3+ armor save meant that any that did wouldn't get through the armor. Hilariously enough, when the second squad of Termagaunts fired, even without the Stratagem they rolled 3 6s for wound rolls. I rolled 2 1s and a 6, and failed 2 armor saves. Ouch. However, the funny thing was that I rolled 2 6s for the Omnissiah's Grace and my Armiger Knight Moirax didn't take any wounds. Whoa. He did take some wounds from psychic attacks, and by the end of the turn he had 9 wounds left. My Knight Gallant, on the other hand, was knocked down to 6 wounds after the second squad of Tyranid Warriors, the Tyrannofex and the Carnifexes all fired at him, and that was also after the Zoanthropes Smite him for a couple of mortal wounds AND the bio mines charged in and exploded, dealing another few mortal wounds. Ouch. The Carnifexes either failed their charges or were too far to charge, so the Tyranid Warriors charged instead and brought him down to just 1 wound with their bone swords. Thank the Omnissiah that I made several of the Feel No Pain rolls (I'm using House Taranis's Tradition to best represent my House Yato) or he would have died. Anyway, I stomped with Titanic Feet and killed one, but his death meant he could strike back one last time before his removal. Obviously I failed the save and my Knight Gallant lost his last wound and died. Ouch.

My Leman Russ Executioner then killed the Tyranid Warriors, at the cost of taking a mortal wound even though I could re-roll ones with the Cadian doctrine. Damn. The other Leman Russ Executioner tank killed the wounded Carnifex. Yay. Then the Knight Styrix moved up and killed the Ripper Swarm with his twin rad cleasner, and his big volkite gun killed a bunch of Termagaunts. The Armiger Knight Moirax also moved up and killed more Termagaunts with his volkite and rad-cleanser, leaving just one termagaunt. One. Which the Chimeras failed to kill. The third Leman Russ Executioner tank fired at a second Carnifex and killed it too, leaving just Old One Eye and one Carnifex. I then charged the Knights in, but the Knight Styrix failed his charge while the Armiger Knight Moirax got in and reduced the Tervigon to 4 wounds (she recovered a wound and went up to 6, I rolled a 2 for the D6 damage after the siege claw hit her so she went down to 4). Oh, well. She struck back and the Armiger Knight Moirax took a total of 3 wounds, being brought down to 6? Or 5? I can't remember.

Turn 3 was the last turn, I believe. The Termagaunts fired and didn't do much to the Knight Styrix, or not that I remember, but between the Tyrannofex and something (I can't remember), they essentially brought the Knight Styrix down to 12 wounds. The spore mines tried to charge, and got wasted in overwatch. The combination of Psychic Scream and melee brought my Armiger Knight Moirax down to 1 wound. Old One Eye charged my Knight Styrix and rolled a bunch of 1s and 2s for his hit rolls and wound rolls...and did absolutely no damage to my Knight Styrix (after taking 6 damage from overwatch - the twin rad-cleanser wounding on 2+s was just insane!). The other Carnifex failed his charge...predictably. My Armiger Knight Moirax, with just 1 wound left, missed because he needed 6s for his Moirax siege claw to hit. Whoops.

By now, my opponent surrendered because he had most of his army wiped out. All he had left was a Tervigon, who was about to get wasted by my Armiger Knight Moirax (who was using Machine Spirit Resurgent), 3 Zoanthropes, about 10 Termagaunts, a single Carnifex and a Tyrannofex. The last surviving Termagaunt got terminated by fire from the Chimeras. In contrast, I only lost a single Knight Gallant. My Armiger Knight Moirax had somehow survived with just 1 wound. I have no idea how. My Knight Styrix still had 12 wounds left. Uh, I was only able to kill a Carnifex with a Leman Russ Executioner tank before my friend conceded, and I pretty much didn't do anything else (I really wanted to kill his Tervigon).

And so it ended up as an overwhelming victory for the combined Astra Militarum and Imperial Knight forces, who crushed the Tyranid incursion (Hive Fleet Kronos). Well, they aren't the dreaded Hive Fleet Leviathan, so too bad. Hive Fleet Kronos specializes in other things like shooting, not fighting an armored spearhead head-on with a bunch of Carnifexes...I guess? Well, it matters not. The humans won this time. YAY! We successfully defended one of the Draconis system's worlds from the ravenous Tyranids! Woohoo!

...I guess. Maybe I shouldn't bring Knights against my friend, but I don't have any other armies and my Imperial Guard army isn't enough for me to field a full 2,000-point army (I sold most of my Guard stuff and preserved only my tanks). We'll see! The Guard is meant to fight alongside other Imperium forces and I like soup, so it makes no sense to make a pure Guard army as viable as a pure Space Marine army. Our codex is top tier and we're doing well, so we don't need that much improvements or Combat Doctrines or something. Just more customability for our home-brewed regiments (like the successor Chapters) would be nice.

For the Emperor!

No comments:

Post a Comment