About My Blog

Ave Omnissiah!

Image result for adeptus mechanicus symbol

My blog is primarily my own personal fluff in the Warhammer 40,000 universe regarding the Draconis system such as the Knight House Yato in Ryusei, their Household Militia, the Draconian Defenders, and the Forge World of Draconis IV with its Adeptus Mechanicus priesthood, Cybernetica cohorts and Skitarii legions, and the Titan Legion, Legio Draconis, known as the Dark Dragons.

Featured Post

Retrospective: Imperial Knights

Today, we're going to a Retrospective on...Imperial Knights! I mean, this is primarily an Imperial Knight blog, so obviously if I'm ...

Sunday, December 17, 2017

Wins and losses

I'm exhausted, so I won't write a full battle report. But basically I tried playing against two opponents yesterday with my Imperial Guard list. Since I had gotten two new Wyverns, I tried them out against the pro Tau opponent.

I lost. For some reason I can't beat the guy. I don't know why. Perhaps the dice gods don't favor me. Perhaps it's my deployment. I'm not sure. But I really, really want to win against him. I'll challenge him again next week. The good news is that it was a very close battle. I think you all know, but this is the guy with the Stormsurge, 3 Fire Breacher teams, 2 teams of 10 Pathfinders, 2 Crisis Commanders with 4 fusion blasters, Farsight, 3 squads of 3 Crisis suits (2 of them with 3 plasma rifles each, 1 of them with 2 ion cyclic blasters each), and a whole bunch of Drones.

I brought my Shadowsword, 2 Leman Russ Executioner tanks (one of them is my tank commander), a Leman Russ Annihilator, 2 Wyverns, 2 Primaris Psykers, 1 Company Commander, 2 Tempestors Prime, 2 Tempestus command squads - 1 with 4 plasma guns and 1 with 4 hot-shot volley guns, a Valkyrie, a 10-men Kasrkin squad and a Tech-priest Enginseer.

They still weren't enough. The good news was that I wiped out his Stormsurge, all his Pathfinder teams and 1 Fire Breacher team in the first turn. The bad news was that his Crisis Suits alone were enough to wipe out my army. They Deep Struck, killed my Kasrkins and my Shadowsword, and the plasma command squad. I managed to take out the rest of the Fire Breachers with my remaining Kamikaze Troopers with hot-shot volley guns (who lost 1 guy), and my Wyverns killed a bunch of drones and wounded 1 Crisis suit, but it wasn't enough. He kept on coming, blew up another 2 Leman Russ tanks in 1 turn. I managed to wipe out a single Crisis suit squad and all the drones, and by the end of the battle, he had killed all my Leman Russ tanks and Wyverns, as well as my hot-shot volley command squad, but I reduced him to 1 plasma-rifle team of 3 Crisis suits, his 2 Crisis Commanders, Farsight and a single Crisis suit. I still had a Primaris Psyker, 1 Tempestor Prime and a Company Commander left, but that was all. I had nothing that could hold objectives, nothing that coould kill the remaining Crisis suits.

It was a hard loss to take, especially after I jumped to a lead by taking out his Stormsurge and Pathfinder teams. But his Crisis suits and drones were way too strong. I have no idea how to win against him. I don't think anyone will offer me advice (I doubt anyone reads this blog), but I'm open to ideas.

The second game was one-sided. This time I played against a kid who used Primaris Marines, and I swapped my Wyverns and Kasrkins out for a mortar heavy weapons squad, a lascannon heavy weapons squad, a 2nd Company Commander and 2 plasma command squads. I swapped the hot-shot volley guns for plasma guns. We played Maelstrom, and in the end I won 17 (or was it 18?) points to 8 and tabled the poor kid by turn 3 or 4. Without losing any of my tanks. Yeah.

Ouch.

Just to put into perspective, the kid brought a fairly strong list - a Captain in Gravis Armor who he spent 3 Command Points to upgrade into a Chapter Master, a Librarian, 3 tactical squads, 2 Inceptor squad (1 of them with plasma inferno pistols or something), a Devastator team with plasma cannons (really?), a Predator, a Repulsor and a Redemptor Dreadnought with the macro-plasma incinerator. And Hellblasters, who were inside the Repulsor.

I don't think it's my team that's weak. I still don't know how to beat the Tau guy, but he's literally the only one I can't win against. I somehow manage to win against everyone else, but this guy (who has participated in tournaments) is on a totally different level. Someone, please teach me how to beat him.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    first off I really enjoy your battle reports so keep them coming.

    Try to keep his deepstriking units at bay with some cheap screen units. If he is able to deep strike right next to your heavy support he can put some serious fire into them. At more then 12 inches he loses firepower right off the bat(Rapid fire range).

    Also the Shadowsword is really a titan hunter, try a normal Baneblade or a Stormlord. They are both better a killing small stuff.

    Winning against Tau is most of the time a game of board control. Make him place his units where you want them, dont allow openings in the backfield.
    Make use of terrain when ever possible.

    I dont think his list is unbeatable, just nasty stuff. Keep him at range and let the tanks rip him to shreds. Static defense and a good set up will carry you a long way.

    Im not a pro player btw so take everything with a grain of salt. :)

    Kind regards
    Sovereign

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice!

      The problem with the Shadowsword is that it is meant to hunt and kill his Stormsurge, and he always kills it before it can shoot his Crisis suits. Will a Baneblade be more survivable against those Crisis suits? Hmm...

      Yeah, I wanted to do that, but the deployment zone was pretty bad for me. Simply put, it was like 12" of my table and I was unable to screen my Shadowsword because it took up the entire space (so I wasn't able to put anyone in front of him). I'll try again! Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

      Delete